Ready or Not...?

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Until probably two years ago I had this comforting, and looking back on it now, certainly naive idea that with some things in life - the bigger, the more important things - it's good to wait till you're ready. So, there is no point worrying about all those little if's and how's, because when you're ready, it will all come together naturally...

Then, of course, I turned 34 and I realized that maybe I'll never be 100% ready for some of those life changing decisions and I should just make a call depending on how I see my life on the long-run. The trouble with that concept is that I don't like definite things. You know, those that change your life forever, without later being able to say: 'actually, I tried it and I changed my mind and I want to go back to how it was before'. 

So, while I quietly continue making sense of it all in my head, here is a quote by the brilliant Hugh Laurie that besides shattering the comforting sense of 'readiness' is actually pretty liberating and freeing...

“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.”

Now, tell me, do you wait to be ready in life or do you just go with what feels right at that particular time...

P.S: Go on, crack a smile! :)
P.P.S: One thing this year...

(Quote by Hugh Laurie, via the lovely Emily. Photo by Herbert Dombrowski)

6 comments:

Amber said...

Sometimes, you're just never ready. I've been considering a move to Chicago (from Virginia) for YEARS, and thought about it seriously around Christmas. But i said "Well, maybe at the end of this summer." I was just going to keep putting it off/finding some excuse.

Then, my landlord called to tell me they're selling the house I rent, and I'll need to be out by April 1. So, I'm moving to Chicago. Am I ready? Nope. But I'm doing it.

(I'll be 34 this year, also. I'm not ready for that, either!)

Anonymous said...

for me, depends on the actual event. when i felt ready to have kids, we decided to start a family - fast forward to now and i have 2 boys. i felt and i still feel ready for them. but when it comes to things like buying a house and actually paying a loan, i am still not ready or grownup to handle

Anonymous said...

ha-ha, here is my story, when I turned 18 (yes 18) I immigrated from then Czechoslovakia to USA, while still in Austria got married and after I arrived in San Francisco few months later got a divorce (he no longer wanted to be married)..............I was still 18 and I was not ready for any of it, but I did it.......this year I will be turning 50, living in Vancouver/Canada with a Slovak/Canadian husband that I met in Santa Monica on the beach at a BBQ, have a 25 year old son together and never looked back................I say just do it, you only live once right? Sonja

Diana Mieczan said...

Amber, oh my goodness! Good luck, sweetie!!! I love that you are doing it...

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, that is so interesting how there are certain things we feel grownup to do and others we simply are not yet ready for.

Diana Mieczan said...

Sonja, thank you so much for sharing your story! It's amazing:) You are right, we only live once:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk