A Pat on The Back

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Do  you ever stop and acknowledge when you did something well? Or do you only pay attention to the things that didn’t work out quite as you hoped they would?

In general, I’m the latter. I barely recognize my achievements or cheer to those tiny little daily successes, I rarely give myself words of encouragement, but I ALWAYS dwell on my failures - more than I probably should or need to.

So when the other week I read Joy’s advice, I realized that I’m my own worst enemy and I need to change. She said:

'I keep thinking about something recently: why is it so easy for me to stick to some daily routines (coffee, checking Instagram, brushing my teeth), while it’s nearly impossible for me to stick to others? (Exercise, I’m looking at you). Of course, I enjoy drinking coffee and don’t particularly like exercising, but I’m so curious if there’s a way for me to get exercise right up next to coffee, where I don’t think about it, I just do it. I turn on the kettle every morning. Every single morning.

Well, my therapist made an interesting point the other day. She asked if I ever take a minute after I do the things I wished I did more, to pat myself on the back. To acknowledge how I was feeling, that very moment. No…?

I realized, after that conversation, that I spend so much time criticizing myself, talking down to myself, that I barely ever change my tone. So, the other day, after I went for a jog and my cheeks were rosy and a cranky mood had lifted, I tried it on myself. I’m proud of you. It almost knocked me off my feet - to have that voice - which is usually sent outward, be turned around and received on this end.'

After reading this I tried it too and as unbelievable as it seems, just by acknowledging that you showed up for something like running, yoga, a hard assignment or a work project changes your approach in a big way. The power of words works, so try it and start treating yourself with care and you might be soon surprised by how those things you rarely did before, will become more of a routine, just because you finally gave yourself a bit of encouragement...Deal?

P.S: The small, happy life...
P.P.S: Redefining happiness.

(Advice via/by 3 Chairs. Photo via Her New Tribe)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can very much relate to you both. Can't wait to try her approach. Thanks

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, I hope you'll try it. It works really well:)

Fashionistable said...

Thank you yes I relate to this too. I already knew this about myself.
Loved the advice on how to turn it around.
Thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk