Simple Problem Solving Advice

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

For as long as I can remember, the one constant in my life was swimming. As a child I used to swim for sport. As I was growing up, the love for this rather monotasking activity became more about letting myself be quiet and alone with my thoughts than a workout.

Having said all that, in recent years  - unconsciously - when my schedule got more hectic, I'd swap swimming for a work meeting, a coffee with a friend or a dinner party invite. After a while, the guilt set in, so I tried squeezing it into my days by getting up earlier (and earlier) in the morning. As you probably guessed, it made me pretty miserable...

And then one June morning, I read Julie's post and I realized I eliminated the wrong thing from my life. Here is what she said:

'I think it's a tendency in our culture to solve problems through complex means. When our time becomes over-scheduled we work to be more efficient or we set the alarm earlier to squeeze more out of a day. When there are financial pressures, we consider how to make more money. Social pressures are eased by buying bigger homes, newer cars, and larger wardrobes. I think a better way to handle life's pressures is through elimination. Drop unnecessary commitments, quit spending money, and show your value through your being, not your belongings.'

So now I'm back to swimming and when life gets busier again, I'll know better this time around what to eliminate before I skip swimming again. Can you relate? Do tell...

P.S: Our perfections.
P.P.S: Plus, 10 awesome books on simple living.

(Quote via Litterless by The Beauty In Simple. Photo via A Joyful Journey by Babes in Boyland)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I can relate on many levels. I need to write this down. Jill

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, it's a good one, isn't it?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk