Just an Observation...

Thursday, June 2, 2016

How do you handle work or private life (constructive) criticism? Are you able to take it on the chin, brush it off swiftly or does it actually affect you?

I'd like to think I’m open-minded enough to take in any harsh feedback that comes my way, yet when it actually happens, I always get surprised by how much it rattles me. So over the weekend, I was pleased when Erin shared her girlfriend’s nifty little tip to handle criticism, like it's no big deal at all…

It’s all in the approach:

'Consider feedback nothing more than an observation. We observe hundreds of things each day. We observe the sun rising, the dishwasher running, the paper towel stash dwindling, the wrinkles on our forehead deepening seemingly overnight. They’re not affronts. They’re observations. They do not mean much until we assign them to mean much. And the assigning is everything.

We can assign meaning to our wrinkles, calling ourselves old. We can assign meaning to our dwindling paper towel stash, calling ourselves forgetful for failing to remember to restock on our last grocery trip. And we can assign meaning to a simple grease splatter observation, calling the observer insensitive, callous, impossible to please.Or we can simply accept it as yet another observation - not feedback, neither positive or negative'.

So next time someone gives you feedback, instead of assuming it’s said in a judgmental way of you falling short, take it for what it is…an observation - nothing more, nothing less.

I think it surely will take some practice, but I like this approach. You?

P.S: Camera-shy :)
P.P.S: Fancy being more creative?

(via Design For Mankind. Photo by Nirav Patel via 3 Chairs)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a perfectionist hearing criticism is hard for me and unsettling and this idea maybe will help in dealing with it better. Thx

Art Farm said...

Ugh. I know I'm bad at this and generally don't handle criticism very well. And I'm worse handling it from certain people more than others. I don't know why that is. But this is good advice to try! :) xo, Katie

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, I hope it will. Good luck:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie, I am exactly the same...It's much harder for me to handle it from someone close to me:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk