The Best Way to Keep Woody Spring Stems Fresh for Longer

Tuesday, April 12, 2016



Since we are in the midst of magnolia, spirea, lilac, cherry blossom and quince blooming season, here is a nifty tip on how to keep those woody stems fresh for longer. It’s all in the way you cut the stem, so it looks like a crisscross.

Here is how: cut into the stem upwards in both directions, so that if you were looking at the stem face on, upside down, you would see a cross. Next, cut the stem at a diagonal. This will make it much easier for the flowers to absorb water. Ta dah!

This little trick should extend your blooms life for days! I’ve done this yesterday with my lilacs. Will you try it too?

P.S: Remember this hydrangeas trick?
P.P.S: Plus, one more for tulips and for indoor plants.

(Tip by Frolic. Photos via Eenig WonenDesign Sponge and by Chelsea Fuss)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never knew that, thnx

Rowena @ rolala loves said...

I totally need to try this! Anything to extend the life of my fresh blooms :)

Melanie said...

My grandmother was an avid gardener and she always told me this! Just cutting the edge across damages the branch! =)

Wonderful tip to learn! =)

Melanie | Blog: Toots + Dill

Diana Mieczan said...

Rowena, yay!

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..Melanie, how cool!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk