The Healthiest Bit Of Your Avocado

Tuesday, October 13, 2015


Have you heard that we might be eating avocados all wrong?

Recently I read that we may have been misguidedly throwing away the best and most nutrient-rich bit of our favourite fruit - the pit, that is! Supposedly 70% of the antioxidants found in the whole avocado are in the seed itself, which contains more of these super-molecules than most other fruits and vegetables.

Not to mention the seed is also packed with fibre and it’s said to lower cholesterol and help prevent cardiovascular disease. So, next time you are about to chuck away the seed, grind it up instead in a food processor and use half the powder in a smoothie. According to Georgia, the powder has a bitter, tannin taste, so it’s best to mix it with something delicious.

I'm going to try it. You?

P.S: Fancy more avocado goodness?
P.P.S: And this + that.

(Photos by Dolly & Oatmeal and Hello Natural. Tip via Red Magazine)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First time I hear this. It must be true, there are many fruits that have small or larger pits containing nutrition

Marcela said...

I love avocado! Every day I eat one or at least a half!

Jillian Manesh said...

oh wow! i didnt know that part either! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Jill said...

Crazy! I had no idea. I'd be interested in trying it, but I'm nervous about putting the pit in my food processor!

Jana ! said...

I bake and cook with avocado oil-wonde rif that's where it comes from?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk