The nostalgic glamour of travelling in the 1950s

Monday, September 14, 2015








Holy Moly! I’ve been mesmerized by the legendary Orient Express train for the longest time. Have you heard of it?

A few years ago, I remember reading about how glamorous it was and ever since than I’ve been daydreaming about taking a journey on it. You board in London and throughout your journey you touch Paris, Venice and travel through the Alps before reaching Istanbul.

This stunning little series of nostalgic snapshots from the 1950s by Jack Birns perfectly captures the glamour of the post-war holiday scene. Ah, just imagine sitting in one of those art deco dining cars, eating something delicious while getting utterly lost in the sweeping views of unspoiled landscapes all around. Epic, don't you think?

P.S: Remember this tree train tunnel in Ukraine?
P.P.S: Tons more travel goodness.

(via DailyMail)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd give anything for an experience like this

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

Must be amazing to travel with the Orient Express. I travelled to Florence by train, and must admit it seemed to be taking ages, and wasn't comfortable at all. But we have seen lots of amazing things on our way!

Jill said...

The Orient Express would be so wonderful. What a trip! I enjoy trains...especially of the high speed variety. Quite comfortable and quick, too.
Whenever I'm finding myself stressed during plane travel, I remind myself how amazing people of the past would think it was that this is even possible, and that makes me appreciate it a little more instead of focusing on how noisy/crowded/uncomfortable it all can be.

Joy said...

love love love this, and how so many men wore hats for their commute. thank you for sharing!! xo

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, same here!

Diana Mieczan said...

Marieken, Florence is so special, isn't it?

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, that is a good trick to not get overly stressed while on a plane. I always get so nerves just before landing:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Joy, I love when men wear hats:) SO dapper.

Art Farm said...

I have always dreamed of taking the Orient Express since I was a kid and read Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. I love traveling by train and this is the most luxe train there is. So cool! I love how everyone used to dress up when they traveled. xo, Katie

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk