Are You Really My Friend?

Tuesday, September 8, 2015










Brilliant! On New Year’s Eve 2010, artist Tanja Hollander scrolled down her Facebook feed looking for updates on her 626 friends. She quickly realized that she is not too sure how many of those people she actually knows in real-life.

So in hopes to discover how many of her Facebook contacts are actually her friends, she started a photo project where she photographs every person in their home. She believes that snapping a photo of a person in their own environment can reveal so much more about their personality than a simple portrait.

The thing she didn’t anticipate was how this project would change her view on friendship. She was blown away by how welcoming and generous everyone has been and how many variations of friends she actually has. By today, Tanja photographed 460 of her FB friends in 42 states and eight different countries.

Clever and insightful, isn't it? I love projects like this. You?

P.S: 1000+ coffees and the death of conversation.
P.P.S: Persona.

(Thanks Nicole, via Realtor)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Facebook gives people illusion of having many friends while in reality we don't know or are not connected on personal level to a big group of them.

Martina // Spunkyrella said...

I believe I have 54 friends on FB and these are really friends and former schoolmates and people I met while traveling all over the world but I agree that social media gives a certain illusion and instead of meeting friends we´re much more connected online than in real life! Love that project though!

xo Martina

PS: Yes, I am back blogging - the new design went online last night ;)

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, good point.

Diana Mieczan said...

Martina, can't wait to check out your new design!

Rowena @ rolala loves said...

I remember reading about this and thinking it was such an illuminating concept. I try to clean up my FB friend list every so often and people get so worked up when you unfriend them which is so odd to me.

Diana Mieczan said...

Rowena :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk