Buy for today, not tomorrow

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Recently I was having a pasta dinner with some friends, and the conversation turned to the end of the summer, the upcoming fall and how the anticipation of a new season usually means lots of extra expenses. Sounds familiar? I thought so. :)

Somehow with the changing weather, and the arrival of the new season, we get the urge to update our home, add a few new pieces to our closet, or buy the hottest new gadget on the market. However, in my experience, we often end up having a bunch of items that we don't actually need and will never use.

To avoid these unnecessary purchases, my friends and I decided to try Nancy’s approach. This girl is pretty brilliant! Whenever she's tempted, she asks herself this simple question: Am I buying this for the life I have right now? Would I wear this out of the store? Will I use this tomorrow? And if the answer is no - she puts it back.

Here she explains why this little trick will work like a charm for you too:
"An architect I once worked with explained to me that a lot of people buying is aspirational: you buy things not for the life you actually have, but for the life you want to have. It's a sort of 'if you build it, they will come' mentality: 'if I buy this amazing outdoor grill, I will definitely start having huge backyard parties where I invite all my friends.' Only a lot of the time, it doesn't work that way. 

Despite our best intentions, these wishful purchases sit unused, or maybe, since nobody can see the future, the things that you bought in anticipation of some future event turn out to be not quite what you need. Maybe once you actually have a party you realize that the grill you bought before you started grilling isn't really the right grill at all."

Genius, if you ask me.

So let's enjoy NOW! Thoughts?

P.S: Life lessons and one life to live...
P.P.S: The small, happy life and why boring is good.

(Photo by Kara Rosenlund. Advice via Apartment Therapy)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm guilty of it too and I keep on doing it despite always regretting the impulse buy afterwards.Jill

Art Farm said...

This is so true! I feel like my eyes have been opened to rethinking about how marketing is targeted as aspiration of a life I want to have. I know I have been guilty of this. In fact, I can think of a couple items in my closet that I haven't worn, but I thought this will make me "cool". Leather skirt, I'm looking at you! So I'm going to start asking myself this question now. xo, Katie

Jillian Manesh said...

oh man this is so true!! and you might not want to see my fall roundup post today!! haha but i totally find myself buying or wanting to buy things for violet for when she's a toddler! it's not like i wont be able to find those things later... im pretty sure it drives my husband nuts too. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, I totally know what you mean:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie, it's all about how we look at things...Balazs and I spent a whole evening thinking about this...

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Jillian:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk