Use, Regrow, Repeat

Monday, June 15, 2015

Have you tried re-growing roots in your kitchen?

I successfully grew an avocado plant out of an avocado pit and now I’m in the middle of re-growing a pineapple. Supposedly you can re-grow tons of different greens to re-use them again and again. Plus, even if you won’t necessarily use them all, those green goodies make for the best kitchen décor and a great way to bring in some greenery into your flat.

I think my next project are going to be carrot greens for a bowl of chimichurri. Jamie recently shared a few nifty tips on re-growing carrot greens, scallions, romaine lettuce and fennel. Which one would you go for?

P.S: How to create your own urban herb garden.
P.P.S: Plus, all things green-thumb and plants...

(Photos by James Ransom for Food52)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried growing an avocado but failed miserably. Can you share your tips on it?

Rowena @ rolala loves said...

I tend to be rubbish with regrowing but it's something I should really make more of an effort to do.

OnePerfectDay said...

Great post!!
I followed the links and will definately be doing it soon!

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, yes! i will write about it soon:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Awesome, OnePerfectDay:)

Kathy said...

I have about 4 pineapple tops growing in my windowsill, one of which has beautiful roots .. I also love watching the ends of celery grow into beautiful plants... thanks for sharing.. this is an awesome, uplifting project!!

Michele Schirduan said...

I have grown 2 successfully so far. I just use the water and toothpick method. It takes a little while but not all will root. If you see it starting to split you are well on your way. To start take a clean pit and put 3 toothpicks in it so it will Balance in a glass of water. I personally like to keep my water clean so I change it once a week. Make sure you just fill the water up to the bottom of the avocado, don't submerge the whole thing. Now wait for it to split then the roots will start. Once you have roots about 3-6" long plant it in my veggie soil. It will start to sprout up top and your tree will grow. Good luck and I hope this helps a bit!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk