How to re-bloom your orchid

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

For the past few years, every winter I get an orchid for our flat but despite caring for it, by the summertime, the flowers are usually all gone. In previous years I used to bin the flower-less orchid or give it to my father-in-law so he can plant it in his garden. But this year I decided to try Amy’s advice of just waiting it out till the next blooms decide to come out. The awesome thing is that I'm only two weeks into following Amy's tips and I already see something happening on my orchid!

So here are a few simple rules to make sure your orchid will re-bloom again in no time.

First, when the flowers fall, snip off the old stem as low as possible and discard. Then you need this simple recipe: a little more sun, a little more light and a wee bit of fertilizer.  Give it a weak fertilizer (a 20-20-20 or a fertilizer marketed for African Violets) and a spot closer to the window under indirect sun.  Water a few times a week (but do NOT get it soaking wet) and before you know it, that old orchid you were about to throw out will reward you with another show.

P.S: How do you feel about hanging plants?
P.P.S: Parisian green wall and sunshine in a pot.

(Tips by/via A Nest for all Seasons. Photos by Myke MinutterAmy and via Myra)


Anonymous said...

I'll try this. thx

Rowena @ rolala loves said...

My husband is really good with getting our orchid plants to re-bloom. I think he usually uses a little pnat food instead of fertilizer though.

Rowena @ rolala loves

Art Farm said...

Good to know! A co-worker was just talking about her orchid this week and thinking she killed it. I'll send her this. :) xo, Katie

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk