Minimalist take on work uniform

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Could you wear the same outfit to work every single day? Would you want to?

Meet Matilda Kahl, an accomplished NYC art director who wears the same ‘uniform’ to work every single day. Yup, about 3 years ago, Matilda had one of those typical Monday mornings when nothing she put on fit just right. Finally she settled on something, but when she hit the subway platform, she regretted it immediately!

By the time she arrived to the office, she felt uncomfortable and paralyzed by the fact that she was not only late and unprepared, but also because she realized her sweater was inside out. After that dreadful meeting, she came to the conclusion that she had enough of those unnecessary panic-filled mornings. There and then she decided she needed a change and find a solution to simplify her morning struggles. 

So here is what she did: she came up with the idea of a work uniform wardrobe that consists of 15 silk white shirts, a blazer, a jacket for cooler months and a few pairs of black trousers. She also incorporated a handful of personal details including a custom-made black leather rosette for her neck. 

What she said really stuck with me:

"The thought of reclaiming the driver's seat can feel overwhelming, but even small changes can make a huge difference. The simple choice of wearing a work uniform has saved me countless wasted hours thinking, "what the hell am I going to wear today?" And in fact, these black trousers and white blouses have become an important daily reminder that frankly, I'm in control. Today, I not only feel great about what I wear, I don't think about what I wear."

In a world where most people try to express their personality in their individual style, it's refreshing to see someone who is able to say it's too much and takes a simpler path!

As for me, I love this idea. You? I'd love to know your thoughts.

P.S: Minimalism and spring reboot.
P.P.S: How to have a great life full of simple pleasures.

(via Harpers Bazaar. All photos by Matilda)


Anonymous said...

A few months ago I started to prep my outfits the night before to avoid running late. But I wish I could do this. Brave girl.

Art Farm said...

When I first starting reading this, I felt super resistant to the idea. That I would feel boring or that my co-workers would think I'm wearing the same exact clothes over and over. But as I read Matilda's words and her experience, I was totally converted. I've already slimmed down my wardrobe a lot and sort of wear the same thing over and over. It might be nice to take a leap and just do it. Maybe give myself a time limit, so if I grow to hate it, I can go back. Really fun idea! xo, Katie

Jana | One Drawing A Day said...

I love this! And she picked a cute outfit too :)

Anonymous said...

I'm inspired by this idea and I might have to try it. I can't stand getting dress in the morning, it's such a headache.

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

Love that leather jacket in the first photo!

little t said...

Love this post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk