Travel as Therapy

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

How do you choose your vacation/travel destinations? Do you pick a place depending on wanderlust, budget, gut feeling, interests, seasons or fun-factors?

Recently I read an article on looking at traveling as a therapy and I can’t stop thinking about it. I wanted to share it with you to see what you think.

The article says that we often choose destinations based on an impulse or labels like culture weekendfamily adventure or island fun. Although we often end up loving the choices we made, there is a better way to get most out of our break by looking at the globe in a totally new way.

Imagine if we looked at cities or countries from a different angle. Let's consider them as places that could help us with shyness, anxiety or boredom! Let's see where could we get a new perspective on life, or which place could calm our nerves and make us chill out! This way, we could get much more out of our vacation. Some places might be good at reducing egoism, while others might be perfect for helping us think more clearly about the future. There is no specific guide (yet), but it’s all about trying to be more conscious about the choices we make.

For example, you could go to Pefkos Beach, Rhodes to deal with your anxiety or if you’re craving a bit more calmness in life, then Monument Valley is a great place to be still. It all comes down to the concept that "travel should not be allowed to escape the underlying seriousness of the area of life with which it deals. We need always to aim for locations in the outer world that can push us towards where we need to go within."

How interesting, isn't it? It reminds me of Elizabeth Gilbert's story and it basically means that next time we are planning a trip, it's good to keep in mind how we feel deep inside and not only listen to our impulses.


P.S: A grown-up gap year?
P.P.S:How about travelling solo or off-season holidays?

(Photo by Oksana)


Anonymous said...

I always thought of traveling as finding my feet and setting my goals. This article proves to me that exploring the world enriches us in the most profound way. thx

Eliza Jane said...

That's interesting!…
My boss' doctor told him that holidays should really be no less than three weeks. He said the body and mind don't fully, completely relax and regenerate with anything less than three weeks' vacation. That got me thinking a lot.

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

I absolutely agree, and I definitely let that influence my choice of destinations when I travel, though time and budget are considerations too. But my husband will tell you that he never schedules a trip without checking with me first, not even to my favorite destinations, because he knows that whether I say yes depends on whether the feel I get from that place fits my needs and feels right at any specific time. Great article, thanks for sharing!

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, how very true:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Eliza, how interesting and it makes so much sense, doesn't it?

Diana Mieczan said...

Elisa, what a sweet husband:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk