New York, 1946

Tuesday, February 24, 2015





How incredible are those photos? In 1946, at the age of 40, Todd Webb arrived back to the city after a posting as a Naval photographer in the Second World War. On his return he captured the beautifully vintage city in all its glory. It blows my mind that back then the Empire State Building was the tallest in town, five cents could get you a bag of fresh-roasted peanuts and the skyline looked so much different.

P.S: Also, 1940's NYC and Stanley Kubrick's vintage take on the city.
P:P.S: Last century.

(via Daily Mail)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks very different and more beautiful, in a way. Jill

Tiffany Kadani said...

This is incredible. It's my favorite era, so I'm drooling over them.

Jillian Manesh said...

so beautiful! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Oh my gosh, these are great!! Thanks!

Art Farm said...

I especially love that 2nd photo with all the kids holding hands and playing in the water. xo, Katie

Diana Mieczan said...

Mine too, Tiffany :)

Diana Mieczan said...

My favourite as well, Katie! It makes me smile each time I look at it:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk