Fictitious Dishes

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Heidi by Joanna Spyri, 1880
'The kettle soon began to boil, and meanwhile the old man held a large piece of cheese on a long iron fork over the fire, turning it round and round till it was toasted a nice golden yellow colour on each side. Heidi watched all that was going on with eager curiosity.'

Genius! Dinah Fried is a New York-based designer who cooks and photographs meals from nearly two centuries of famous fiction. Each new meal she snaps is accompanied by the particular passage in which the recipe appeared. Last year she came out with a photo book called Fictitious Dishes: An Album of Literature’s Most Memorable Meals, which includes fifty meals from the most famous contemporary and classic literature. Have a look...

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, 1951
'When I’m out somewhere, I generally just eat a Swiss cheese sandwich and a malted milk. It isn’t much, but you get quite a lot of vitamins in the malted milk. H. V. Caulfield. Holden Vitamin Caulfield.'
Moby-Dick by Herman Melville, 1851
'Our appetites being sharpened by the frosty voyage, and in particular, Queequeg seeing his favourite fishing food before him, and the chowder being surpassingly excellent, we despatched it with great expedition…'

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, 1865
'Have some wine,’ the March Hare said in an encouraging tone. Alice looked all round the table, but there was nothing on it but tea.'
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, 1915
'There were old, half-rotten vegetables; bones from the evening meal, covered in white sauce that had gone hard; a few raisins and almonds; some cheese that Gregor had declared inedible two days before; a dry roll and some bread spread with butter and salt….'

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, 1960
'Gracious alive, Cal, what’s all this?’ He was staring at his breakfast plate. Calpurnia said, ‘Tom Robinson’s daddy sent you along this chicken this morning. I fixed it.’ ‘You tell him I’m proud to get it — bet they don’t have chicken for breakfast at the White House.’'
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, 1925
'On buffet tables, garnished with glistening hors-d’oeuvre, spiced baked hams crowded against salads of harlequin designs and pastry pigs and turkeys bewitched to a dark gold.'
On the Road by Jack Kerouac, 1957
'But I had to get going and stop moaning, so I picked up my bag, said so long to the old hotelkeeper sitting by his spittoon, and went to eat. I ate apple pie and ice cream — it was getting better as I got deeper into Iowa, the pie bigger, the ice cream richer.'

Aren't they awesome? Which one is your favourite?

P.S: Reading women.
P.P.S: Corpus Libris.

(via Brain Pickings)


Anonymous said...

Books and food are my passions. There is no better combo. Jill

Jillian Manesh said...

this is so fun! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Camila Faria said...

This is brilliant! Two of my favorite things in the world: food and books!

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Love this....brilliant! I love them all many beloved characters but I especially love the bread & cheese of Heidi

LyddieGal said...

What a delightful project! I think the toasted cheese looks so yummy!
Chic on the Cheap

Art Farm said...

I love this idea! Fabulous!! xo, Katie

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, so true!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Camila :)

Alina said...

I love this idea! I thought about re-creating meals I read in books after reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn last year, and now I'm inspired to re-start! Though it's not my usual kind of meal, the sandwich and drink mentioned in Catcher in the Rye is my favorite. Thanks for sharing!!

tutusandtea said...

This is such a fun idea!!! Absolutely brilliant...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk