One Thing This Year...

Monday, January 5, 2015

Question: do you make New Year’s resolutions? Do you stick to them? I have a history of notoriously breaking mine, but ever since 2012, instead of setting myself for disappointment right off the bet, I changed the rules and now I set myself little challenges.

Three years ago it was all about solo eating. Two years ago I started the year hoping to enjoy the simple things in life. Last year was about letting go and going back to basics and this year my plan is to be more present each day (and cut myself some slack), which is a natural progression from my previous challenges. This one is tricky though, because it's human nature to constantly look into the future, plan ahead, daydream about promotions, babies, houses, boyfriends or weddings...It's not really a problem to daydream or look forward to things as long as it doesn't stop us from enjoying right now.

So instead of constantly thinking about what the future might bring and how to make it happen, I will enjoy today with its ups and downs, little pleasures, bumpy roads, simple cups of coffee, and cake, because a good slice of cake can fix everything:)

How about you? Making resolutions this year? What are they? Fancy joining in the challenge?

P.S: Wake up happy!
P.P.S: Nine winter ways to get lost in Paris.

(Photo by Madeleine Robertson)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stopped making resolutions years ago when I realized that they actually make me feel worse about myself. I might try your idea and set myself just one overall goal for this year.

Young at Heart said...

I've given up giving up ....now it's all about the to-dos and I always start with something very doable like reading a book I've always meant to read.....happy new year!!

Art Farm said...

I second what Anon said! I gave up resolutions because they always made me feel bad. Instead I try to set out intentions for the year. Learn something new, travel somewhere, etc. This year I really want to focus on adding meditation into my life when and where I can. Doesn't have to be everyday, but any time I can give myself to just focus on my breath is a good thing! xo, Katie

hello.agi said...

Sounds very good, i should definitely do this:)

Emmy Weiss said...

I make goals for myself every year, but I generally start around my birthday instead (my b-day is in February). Most of the time, I'm able to achieve those goals, but it takes a lot of effort: planning, reminders, assurances, and, of course, adjustments simply because life can be messy at times.

I'm personally focusing on having a more meaningful life - cultural and educational. I'm also focusing on improving my overall health. =)

Chrissy said...

Rather than setting resolutions I set myself little goals which I want to accomplish over the span of the next 12 months - I blogged about it last week. I think resolutions set you up for failure, because let's be honest, who really sticks to them the entire year? I sure don't.
I like your approach and wish you all the best for 2015, sweet lady! xxx

Ela said...

Great photos !
Diana, I wish you a Happy New Year !

Ela said...

Great photos !
Diana, I wish you a Happy New Year !

little t said...

Being present - what a lovely resolution!

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, hope it works for you:)

Diana Mieczan said...

That sounds great, Young at Heart

Diana Mieczan said...

Yay Agi:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Emmy, that is fantastic!

Diana Mieczan said...

Wonderful, Chrissy and happy new year, darling. xo

Diana Mieczan said...

little t :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk