Joy from The World

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Jewish-Japanese Christmas

Shab-e Yalda Persian Celebration

The Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe - Mexican Tradition
St. Lucia’s Day - Scandinavian Tradition
Christmas Dinner Traditional Style

How do you celebrate Christmas? Since our family is so multicultural, over the years, we developed a tradition where we incorporate all our backgrounds into one.

Our festive table always has the traditional US turkey feast that I am used to growing up, my dad’s Polish red barszcz soup with uszka's, Balazs’ mom’s Hungarian fish dish, my mom’s English Christmas pudding and mince pies, plus all the trimmings of an international feast. We also stick to the tradition of opening gifts on 25th morning and we always start off Christmas Eve with popping British crackers and wearing silly crowns :) So this way, wherever we spend Christmas, all our cultures are represented.

So when I spotted this amazing project by The New York Times, I felt so happy knowing that we are not the only family that mixes things up. Sam Sifton visited five New York families to see how they celebrate their festive season and above are all the different traditions they follow. Now, your turn. How does your festive feast look like?

P.S: The hungry planet.
P.P.S: How much food do people eat per day.

(via Sho&Tell. Photos by Hannah Whitaker)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ours is very traditional British celebrations but I love how different yours is.

Camila Faria said...

It's amazing how everyone brings their tradition to the Christmas table. We also have a traditional turkey over here, but with a brazilian twist: lots of fruits and native ingredientes included!

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, thanks! We love it too:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Camila, I love that...Sounds very scrumptious.

Art Farm said...

I love seeing how everyone celebrates Christmas with their food! Growing up we always had fondue on Christmas Eve. It was a fun tradition. But now that my brothers and I all celebrate with our individual families on the day, we all have unique traditions. When we get together with just us, we normally make homemade pizza. Since some of us have dietary restrictions and we just LOVE pizza! OH and wine and beer. Lots of wine and beer! xo, Katie

Lauren said...

I love this kind of post always. I can see how other people live through their food. It´s amazing!
xoxo

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

I loved this too when I saw it in the NYTimes. I love the mix of traditions! Our family has a big Bouillabaisse on Christmas eve.... in keeping with the Italian tradition of eating seven fishes on Christmas eve but we also have English Trifle & gingerbread cookies so it is a mix of traditions....& lots of fun!

Jill Sarah said...

I'm Jewish, my finance is Christian. I grew up celebrating both, just for fun, but this year we're hosting a Christmukah dinner. Menu is still in progress but it's gonna be fun!

Songlines said...

We do not like the over consumption of food and drink over Christmas while people are still starving, but over the years we have made the tradition of a nice dinner, last year I cooked Venison, a nice desert, and some nice warming drinks. It's lovely to do something special. I really loved your blog entry.

Diana Mieczan said...

I love your pizza idea:) Pizza nights are always so amazing, Katie.

Diana Mieczan said...

Lauren :)

Diana Mieczan said...

How wonderful, Sally:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill Sarah, awww...happy Christmukah:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Songlines, glad you enjoyed it:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk