The Perfect Gift For People Who Love Food

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Over the past few years, I realized that food memoirs make one of the best gifts for all occasions from birthdays, anniversaries to Christmas treats or even hostess gifts. The rule of thumb is that people who love flipping through cookbooks will most probably love a good food story. So if someone just popped into your mind, you most certainly found yourself the perfect gift for that person. Here are the 14 of my favourite food memoirs that won't disappoint.

1. Delancey - a funny, frank and tender story about a man, a woman, a restaurant and a marriage written by the brilliant Molly Wizenberg.
2. Eat, Memory: Great Writers at the Table. A Collection of food essays from the New York Times - edited by Amanda Hesser.
3. Mastering Art of French Eating by Ann Mah. The memoir of a young diplomat’s wife who must reinvent her dream of living in Paris - one dish at a time.
4. Garlic and Sapphires: The secret life of a critic in disguise by Ruth Reichl.
5. Born Round: A story of family, food and ferocious appetite by Frank Bruni.
6. A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg. A brilliant coming-of-age story after a loss.

7. Alice, Let's Eat by Calvin Trillin is a hilarious odyssey in search of "something decent to eat".
8. My Life in France by Julia Child. (You will want to re-read this over and over again).
9. Tender at the Bone: Growing up at the Table by Ruth Reichl. A witty and compelling chronicle of a culinary sensualist's coming-of-age.
10. My Berlin Kitchen by Luisa Weiss. A delicious story of the search for happiness.
11. Toast: The Story of a Boy's Hunger by Nigel Slater is a tale of a childhood remembered through food.
12. The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten.
13. When French Women Cook: A gastronomic memoir with over 250 recipes by Madeleine Kamman.
14. Cooking For Mr Latte: A Food Lover's Courtship by Amanda Hesser. A story of two loves: food and Mr Latte:)

P.S: Also, our Christmas gifts guides so far this year.
P.P.S: Plus, don't miss our sassy jewelry of your choice GIVEAWAY!

(Top photo by A Sweet Spoonful. Layout by exPress-o)


Mrs. White said...

Also, M.F.K. Fisher is a literary dream for food-centric readers!

Anonymous said...

I just finished Mastering the art of French eating and it hit the spot. I love food reads. Jill

Art Farm said...

This is such a great idea! My eldest brother and I often give each other cookbooks. I was thinking of giving him Delancey this year since we both love to make pizza. And Julia Child's My Life in France is one of my favorite books of all-time! xo, Katie

Steph said...

I don't think I've ever actually read a food-related memoir! Definitely something for my reading list. Thanks for the idea!

Lynn said...

I have read - and loved- several of these, but I think "Blood,Bones & Butter" by Gabrielle Hamilton should definitely be on your list. One of the best foodographys ever!

Diana Mieczan said...

Mrs. White, you are so right!

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, same here:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie, you totally should...I loved Delancey:)

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Steph:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Lynn, sounds fantastic. Now, I can't wait to read it:)

Cheerful little things said...

I'm a huge of fan of your blog ! Nice job dear :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Cheerful little things, awww..thank you:)You're so sweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk