Over the past few years, I realized that food memoirs make one of the best gifts for all occasions from birthdays, anniversaries to Christmas treats or even hostess gifts. The rule of thumb is that people who love flipping through cookbooks will most probably love a good food story. So if someone just popped into your mind, you most certainly found yourself the perfect gift for that person. Here are the 14 of my favourite food memoirs that won't disappoint.
1. Delancey - a funny, frank and tender story about a man, a woman, a restaurant and a marriage written by the brilliant Molly Wizenberg.
2. Eat, Memory: Great Writers at the Table. A Collection of food essays from the New York Times - edited by Amanda Hesser.
3. Mastering Art of French Eating by Ann Mah. The memoir of a young diplomat’s wife who must reinvent her dream of living in Paris - one dish at a time.
4. Garlic and Sapphires: The secret life of a critic in disguise by Ruth Reichl.
5. Born Round: A story of family, food and ferocious appetite by Frank Bruni.
6. A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg. A brilliant coming-of-age story after a loss.
7. Alice, Let's Eat by Calvin Trillin is a hilarious odyssey in search of "something decent to eat".
8. My Life in France by Julia Child. (You will want to re-read this over and over again).
9. Tender at the Bone: Growing up at the Table by Ruth Reichl. A witty and compelling chronicle of a culinary sensualist's coming-of-age.
10. My Berlin Kitchen by Luisa Weiss. A delicious story of the search for happiness.
11. Toast: The Story of a Boy's Hunger by Nigel Slater is a tale of a childhood remembered through food.
12. The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten.
13. When French Women Cook: A gastronomic memoir with over 250 recipes by Madeleine Kamman.
14. Cooking For Mr Latte: A Food Lover's Courtship by Amanda Hesser. A story of two loves: food and Mr Latte:)
P.S: Also, our Christmas gifts guides so far this year.
P.P.S: Plus, don't miss our sassy jewelry of your choice GIVEAWAY!
(Top photo by A Sweet Spoonful. Layout by exPress-o)