The perfect (early) fall simmering potpourri

Thursday, October 2, 2014

One of the things I love most about autumn is simmer pots and potpourris. So, here is my latest favourite: grapefruit, fresh rosemary and vanilla. It’s ideal for those early fall days when the weather outside is not quite coolish yet, but you need a comforting yet refreshing scent to lift up your spirits and get you going throughout your week. This combo above has been simmering in my kitchen for the past two days and it’s still rocking my world! Hope you try it tonight.

Here is the full how to: fill a small cooking pot with 2 cups of warm water, 1-2 sprigs of rosemary, 2 teaspoons of good quality vanilla extract and the peel of a half grapefruit rind. That is it. (You can experiment with the ingredient quantities to your liking). Simmer throughout the day while adding a bit of water from time to time. Also, you can reuse this mix for up to three days and store it in the fridge overnight.

P.S: My other favourites: this fall potpourri and this winter simmer pot.
P.P.S Plus, this honey scented bathroom trick that I love.

(Photos by exPress-o. Mix inspired/adapted via Erin Boyle)

6 comments:

Art Farm said...

This sounds lovely! I have yet to do one of your lovely simmering pots. But now that my apartment is feeling a little stuffy from the windows closed, this sounds like a nice way to freshen things up a bit. xo, Katie

Anonymous said...

Diana this is perfect. Now I cannot wait to get home and make it. Can you tell me what brand of vanilla essence do you use? Jill

Kirsty Girl said...

Oo lovely! I need to do this. Now that we have an indoor puppy I'm constantly on the lookout for ways to make the house smell even remotely ok again. haha

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, I use Nielsen-Massey: http://www.nielsenmassey.com/culinary/products-madagascar-bourbon-pure-vanilla-extract.php

It's wonderful!

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Kirsty:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk