Rise and Shine

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

 Saki, 2 ¾ years old, Tokyo

Doga Gunce Gursoy, 8 years old, Istanbul
Nathanaël Witschi Picard, 6 years old, Paris

Phillip, 4 years old and Shelleen, 4 years old, Chitedze, Malawi

Aricia, 4 years old, and Hakim, 2 years old, São Paulo, Brazil

Birta, 3 ½ years old, Reykjavik, Iceland

What was your usual breakfast as a child? For me it was a bowl of homemade porridge with raisins that I always wanted to pick out or a jam toast with a cup of hot chocolate on the side. I was a very picky eater.

So when I spotted this project by The New York Times, I got pretty excited! Malia explored and documented what children all over the world eat for breakfast, and the outcome blew my mind. The variety of diets is eye-opening to say the least. From Saki eating natto and miso soup in Tokyo, Doga having a full spread of eggs, cheese, veggies and pastries, to Phillip munching on a piece of sweet cornbread while sipping black tea with sugar.

Fascinating, wouldn’t you agree? I love how some of those meals look and how much effort the parents must make to create them each morning.

P.S: The hungry planet and how much food do people eat per day.
P.P.S: From grandma with love and those five Olympians and their diets.

(Photos by Hannah Whitaker for The New York Times)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom used to make us pancakes on weekends and hard boiled egg with a ham toast during the week. The Istanbul spread surprised me. It looks more like a lunch than a breakfast.

Pixelhazard said...

How interesting. My fussy eater has water, strawberry, an arrow root biccy, milk and a tiny bit of bread if I'm lucky. Might be time to push the boundaries a little ;)

Pixelhazard | Bright Green Laces |

Jillian Manesh said...

i saw this the other day! soo interesting! growing up we always just had cereal or something fancier on the weekends like pancakes or eggs. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Art Farm said...

My husband and I were discussing this article last week! We loved the Turkish breakfast and thought the little French boy was so adorable! My breakfasts growing up were mostly cereal. Sometimes a hardboiled egg. On the weekends my Dad would make us pancakes. Mmmm! xo, Katie

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk