Living With Less

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Would you throw out more than 20 000 items from your home to start fresh and minimalize your life?

Four years ago, Brooke had it all - a supportive husband, a beautiful daughter, a successful business, a dream house and all the perks of a well-lived-life. Yet, the only thing she felt was being totally and utterly overwhelmed.

She said:
"I was buckling under the pressure of trying to maintain work/life balance (here's a tip - it doesn't exist), running a home and being a full-time mum, while also keep up the appearance of having it together. Because God knows, the worst thing you can do when trying to juggle it all is to look as though you're Not Coping. So I worked hard to keep the act running"

The stress of trying to keep up with everything started to get to her. Instead of enjoying all her possessions and achievements that she accumulated over the years, she felt suffocated. Then one night, she discovered that there are people who are choosing not to keep up. Who are opting to live with less stuff, less expectation, less debt, less guilt and less busy-ness. And what's more, these people were saying that life got better, richer, and happier when they embraced living with less.

So Brooke started the process of minimalizing her life, her business, her home and her ever growing closet. By today she is happier and fulfilled:

"We have enough. We have enough clothes, enough toys, enough space, enough light, enough throw cushions (which is to say, none at all).We don't live out of a backpack. Our kids have toys. We have books and a computer and multiple pairs of shoes. But what we've discovered is that life - the experiences, people, relationships that happen in spite of what you own - this is the important stuff."

It made me realize that life is not about depriving ourselves of goodness, or treating ourselves to material things, it’s about giving ourselves the time to live it and not just trying to cope with the situations we are in. It should be so simple to live our life, but somehow with all the wants, needs and desires, there is a chain reaction that makes everything so darn complicated.

Just something to think about. Thoughts? Do you live the life you wanted or the life that chose you? xo

P.S: How to have a great life full of simple pleasures.
P.P.S: One Life to live.

(Thanks Clare for the article. Photo via Lana Pribic).

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to admit but I feel exactly the same way Brooke felt 4 years ago. In the past few months my 'glass' started to overflow and I'm having hard time keeping up with being a grown up in a big city with a husband and 3 kids. Now this might be the push I needed to changed something here.

Art Farm said...

I am actively trying to make this change and live more minimally. There are so many things I want to do, places to travel, experiences to be had and I feel like my consumerist tendencies have made these dreams not happen yet. So Bravo, Brooke for lightening the load. Always and inspiration to read about! :) xo, Katie

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

I've been trying to declutter for a while now. Whenever I managed to get some decluttering in my home done, it's like the same goes for my head :-)

hello.agi said...

How inspiring and wise! I totally agree with this! Thanks for sharimg :)

Melissa Blake said...

yeeesss! there is definitely something to this...i've been trying to de-clutter and it feels great!!! It's like a giant weight is being lifted off your shoulders.

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

I like the idea in theory...

Mary Jo Matsumoto said...

Hi Diana! I loved reading this...it's a bit what's happened to me these past months. I sold all my furniture (well most of it) and put everything else in storage while I travel etc. I really think there's something to this.Hoping October is treating you well!

xo Mary Jo

Laurel Nevarte said...

This post really resonates with me; after years of trying to maintain frantic work schedule. with barely a moment to communicate with family and friends, my hours were cut at work around the same time my son left home for college...the irony is I was always looking for this downtime and then there was so much...I decided to embrace my creative impulses and pour my soul into a handmade craft business and have never felt as fulfilled as I do now. I will tackle the consumer overload next; now that my mind is more relaxed and I can think more clearly, I will begin the work of reducing the physical clutter I had been avoiding in the past...

Erin said...

While I appreciate the idea of trying to consume less, I sometimes find the whole minimalism thing can be quite tone deaf. I like this post on the idea of minimalism and class: http://vruba.tumblr.com/post/45256059128/wealth-risk-and-stuff

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie, I love what you wrote.

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally with you on that, Marieken.

Diana Mieczan said...

How awesome, Mary Jo!

Diana Mieczan said...

Your comment made me so happy, Laurel.

Diana Mieczan said...

Erin, thank you for the link. I'm going to read it right away.

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, I am so sorry about everything! Hope it gets better soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk