Let It Go...

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

In the world that gives us countless opportunities to be in control of the smallest things, like how many steps we take while walking, it's no surprise that everyone wants to be immaculately accurate about every decision they make. Yet, I find myself wanting to have less control and keep going back to Kiki Smith’s words for comfort.

"Just do your work. And if the world needs your work it will come and get you. And if it doesn't, do your work anyway. You can have fantasies about having control over the world, but I know I can barely control my kitchen sink. That is the grace I'm given. Because when one can control things, one is limited to one's own vision."

Each time I read it, I realize that knowing everything, planning ahead and being fully in control of the giant that is life is simply impossible. No point trying to tame the beast…just do what you do and you will be just fine.

Thoughts? Do you feel in control? xo

P.S: How to have a great life full of simple pleasures.
P.P.S: High five New York :)

(Photo by Luca Bortolato)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that I 'm not the only one who thinks that everything doesn't have to be pre-planned and overthought. Jill

Art Farm said...

Do I feel in control? Ha! Oh hell no!!! I find when I am stubborn and try to be in control, it always makes me feel worse and doesn't work out. I'm so not perfect and learning to let go a bit, go with the flow and just do my thing, I am so much happier! Such a fantastic quote. Happy Wednesday, sweetie! xo, Katie

Elsa de Diego said...

Wow amiga! What a powerful post. I had to learn the hard way that you cannot be in control of everything, which is not necessarely bad. I hold onto my faith and positivism to believe that everything happens for a reason, that when things are falling apart may actually be falling into place instead (I read it in Pinterest..LOL) Besos!

Jana | One Drawing A Day said...

So true! I've had a stressful week and it's mainly because I want each decision to be perfect-I need to shoot for "good" instead

Diana Mieczan said...

yay Jill:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Same here, Katie. Trying to be in control never works for me too.

Diana Mieczan said...

Elsa, that is beautiful!

Diana Mieczan said...

Jana, "good" is actually better, isn't it? Hope next week will be better for you.

Merry Meri said...

What a powerful little quote and a perfect reminder! I too often struggle with unplanned or "unperfect" execution so I will try to remember Kiki's words as well. Cheers, xox -m

Diana Mieczan said...

Muah, Meri:)

Susy said...

Love this post and Kiki Smith so much. It has been my sincerest intention to surrender more... Thanks for this!

Diana Mieczan said...

Susy, my pleasure:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk