Inglorious Fruits and Vegetables Unite

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Genius! Did you know that each year, we throw away over 300 million tons of perfectly eatable fruits and vegetables worldwide? The only reason they never make to our local grocery stores is because they are ‘ugly’.

So earlier this year, a France supermarket called Intermarch√© decided to try and change their customers’ perception towards the non-calibrated fruits and vegetables by showing them that they are as good as those "perfect" fruits - they just look a bit different. In hopes to convince people of it, the shop launched 'the inglorious fruits and vegetables' campaign where they bought those ready-to-be-tossed veggies and fruits from the farms, and sold them in their stores alongside the 'perfect' fruits, but 30% cheaper with their own label and their own shelf. They also created different smoothies, soups and juices from those fruits and veggies to celebrate the beauty of the ridiculous potato, the hideous orange or the failed lemon.

The results are incredible! Check out the video above. What a great way to combat waste, don't you think? Would you buy those inglorious fruits and veggies? xo

P.S: Foodie confessions.
P.P.S: Eat local, eat seasonal.

(via Daily Mail. Photos by Kate Gibbs and via The Guardian. Video by Goodvertising)

10 comments:

Jeanne said...

I really enjoy your blog.
Thanks for your wonderful postings
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I hope it can go global because I'd be buying them as well. Great idea. Jill

Anonymous said...

I grow inglorious veggies in my garden and we all love them!!
Thanks for this post;)

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Jeanne:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill:)

Diana Mieczan said...

That is totally awesome, Anonymous!!! yay:)

Art Farm said...

Diana, thank you for sharing this! What a fantastic idea!! It's funny, I get so proud when I grow something myself and often it is funky looking and shaped oddly, but do I buy the weird looking fruit and veg at the store? Normally no. Well, I don't see them at the store. But sometimes I do. Anyway, good way of thinking. The reduced prices would be so nice to the grocery bill. I hope grocery store chains in the States follow suit. xo, Katie

Alina said...

This sounds like a great idea! I admit, I do partially rely on appearance when buying fruit and vegetables, but not to this extreme (though probably because we often do not have such disfigured produce here.) I think I would buy many of these so-called "lesser" foods.

Diana Mieczan said...

I hope that too, Katie! That would be awesome, wouldn't it?

Diana Mieczan said...

Alina :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk