Clean Eating: Banana Nut Porridge

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Do you like porridge or oatmeal? As a child I used to eat it all the time for breakfast. Nowadays, I much prefer making a hearty bowl of porridge for dinner on those slow, lazy nights when Balazs is working late and I'm having the flat totally for myself.

Here is the thing about this particular porridge, it's without a doubt the healthiest and yummiest bowl of breakfast goodness around. It doesn't contain cow milk or sugar or oats or yoghurt - it's made entirely from nuts, banana and coconut milk.

Have I convinced you? I hope so:) xo

Banana Nut Porridge
(Serves 4. Recipe adapted from Danielle Walker – Against All Grain)
- 1 ½ cup of raw nuts like cashews, almonds, pecans or any other you like
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 table spoon of hemp seed* or hemp powder (optional)
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoons of cinnamon
- A dash of sea salt for soaking water

Place the nuts in a bowl full of water and sprinkle the sea salt over them. Cover the bowl and soak overnight. Next morning, drain the nuts and rinse 2 or 3 times, until the water runs clear. Blend the nuts with the banana, coconut milk, hemp seed and cinnamon until smooth. Next, put all of the porridge in a pot on the stove and heat over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. When ready, serve with raisins, chopped nuts or dried fruits and an extra splash of almond milk if desired.

*Here is why I add hemp seed.
**If you are making the full recipe, you can store your leftover porridge in the fridge for up to 3 days.

P.S: My dear breakfast.
P.P.S: A breakfast club.

(Photos by exPress-o)


Anonymous said...

I just cut down of sugar recently and now I am off dairy products as well. It's tricky to find tons of good recipes but this is going to be my go to breakfast for sure. What nuts do you usually use? Jill

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, I usually use a combination of macadamia nuts, pecans and cashews but all nuts work great with this recipe.

Steph said...

Yum! I eat porridge every morning. Fuel for the day. I'm trying to cut down on the sugar too but I'm a total chocoholic so it's not easy!

Diana Mieczan said...

Steph, fuel for the day, indeed:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk