The secrets of your shopping list

Monday, September 22, 2014




Ha! How do you write your grocery lists? Do you keep them neatly in your phone or do you jot everything on a random piece of paper? I’m the type that usually uses an open envelope to scribble on what I need throughout the morning before heading out. My shopping lists look very much like the 3rd image and are usually full of words that make no sense to anyone else but me. That is also the reason why Balazs leaves it up to me to get everything we need.

So when I spotted this little project, I got so excited! Michael is a South West Londoner who collects left behind grocery shopping lists as he believes it’s an interesting way to sneak silently into people’s minds – like a case study. It seems he is right, since just by reading them you can easily figure out what those people like or have planned for the evening. Plus I love how each list is so individual, with some being totally all over the place, while others are very organized and well thought through. Plus, you can spot the little quirks, like people writing “my olives” or ‘fruits (no bananas)”. Love that!

What’s on your shopping list for today? xo

P.S: The art of food grouping.
P.P.S: Foodie confessions.

(Photos by Johnson Banks)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is fascinating. I keep all my to-dos in my phone but occasionally my husbands writes down a few things he wants me to get on the tiniest pieces of paper. I sometimes wander if he tests my eyesight.

Art Farm said...

I love found collections like these! You get such interesting little insights into people's lives. It's funny to compare the shopping lists I make and the ones Toby makes. His are all very neat, includes the menu and he writes them in order of where items are located in the grocery store. Talk about organization!! Mine are very stream of conscious and super scribbly. xo, Katie

Jillian said...

ha cute! i usually have a handwritten list and then another list on my phone...and i still manage to forget something most of the time!

Jillian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steph said...

Brilliant. I keep mine neatly in my phone notes these days, but I used to be a post-it person and sometimes I miss the scribbles...now all evidence is deleted.

Steph said...

Brilliant. I keep mine neatly in my phone notes these days, but I used to be a post-it person and sometimes I miss the scribbles...now all evidence is deleted.

holtkamp said...

I have to write my list in the order I'll find the grocery items in the store- that way I don't have to backtrack!

Pixelhazard said...

Oh lord, my shopping list is put together from 2 other lists: one on my fridge of things as we run out of them and the other of meals for the week. I then combine them into one super list for the shops sectioned (as best I can) into isles and departments according to the layout of my local supermarket.

I swear I can be spontaneous, lol

Pixelhazard | Bright Green Laces

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Anonymous:)

Diana Mieczan said...

How funny, Katie...We are the same - Balazs is the organized one and I am the one all over the place:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jillian:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Good idea, holtkamp. I should start doing that too.

Diana Mieczan said...

Pixelhazard, I adore your comment:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk