Autumn Baking: Spiced Pear Upside-Down Cake.

Monday, September 8, 2014

Last Friday morning I woke up craving a slice of cake, so after walking the dogs, brewing coffee and checking emails, I hunted down a few organic pears and I baked the most delicious upside down pear cake there is!

It's the weirdest thing, but lately whenever I feel a bit down about something, I bake. So here is a cake that will solve all your Monday worries with every new bite and make your flat smell all autumny of ginger, caramelized pear and cinnamon. Are you tempted? xo

Spiced pear upside-down cake
(Makes: 9 servings. Recipe adapted from Taste of Home)

- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1.5  cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup warm water

In a small pot, melt 1/2 cup of butter with 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Next, pour the mixture into a 9-in. square baking pan and arrange pears over it.

In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup of softened butter and 1/3 cup of brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and the molasses. In a smaller bowl, combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda and then add to the creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition. Spread batter over pears. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean. Cool for about an hour before flipping it over and eating. Ta dah!

P.S: Also, this French take on baked apples and autumn-perfect garlic bites :)
P.P.S: Plus, maple and vanilla roasted pears :)

(Photos by exPress-o)


Steph said...

Torture, torture... here I am starving and you're posting these amazing looking photos. I think I just drooled on my desk ;) Hahaha... definitely going on the Autumn baking list!

Jillian said...

yummmm sounds fantastic! i love pears! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Jill said...

Such a nice cake for fall!

Art Farm said...

This looks amazing, Diana! I must make this soon. It has totally brightened the blue Monday I have been having today. xo, Katie

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

Yum, this looks so good! I almost want to take a bite out of my screen :-)

Just Another Shopaholic said...

This sounds so good!

OnePerfectDay said...

I'm sure I can smell it.....
I know it'll taste heavenly.

OnePerfectDay said...

I'm sure I can smell it.....
I know it'll taste heavenly.

Carried Away said...

What are you doing to me?! I need to bake something sooooooon :)

Pinar said...

Looks and sounds amazing! I loved all of the spices that you put! I'm just thinking about that full cup of butter :/

Ethaney said...

When I had my first real bad break up, I healed by baking. I was so heartbroken and sad that I baked 5 cakes a day. Not to mention I went to town baking cupcakes and cookies. It was cake/cookie/cupcake overload. But it was therapeutic and (most likely) helped me overcome the sadness I was feeling during that time. So I totally get what you're saying about baking when you feel sad or down! On a lighter note, this cake looks fantastic. XO

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Steph:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill :)

Diana Mieczan said... are the sweetest, Katie:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Marieken!

Diana Mieczan said...

OnePerfectDay :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Pinar, it's a big cake.

Diana Mieczan said...

I love your comment so much, Ethaney. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk