August Challenge: Don't Cook!

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Are you up for a little challenge? The other day I spotted Adam's fun little idea and I couldn't resist joining in. Well, since August is famous for its lush, rainbow-coloured and juicy heirlooms, peaches, cherries, pears and grapes, how about declaring it a month of no cooking what so ever! Let's make August just about eating as fresh as it gets. It's only fair since summer is way too hot to stand by the oven or over hot cooking pots. So it's time to get lazy this month and eat giant veggie salads, fresh fruit bowls, mozzarella and tomato slices drizzled with olive oil, peaches with Greek yogurt and honey for breakfast and bruschetta on a slice of rustic bread for dinner. 

Are you game? If so, here are a few tips to follow: get yourself a box of sea salt, a bottle of quality olive oil, and the good sense not to mess with anything too much. Eat it fresh and lazy. Cheers to August, darlings! xo

P.S: Here are our favourites so far: this peach - avocado salad, this melon salad and especially this arugula - mango bowl of goodness that we had last night.
P.P.S: Plus this nifty trick to peeling peaches like a pro:)

(Photo by Christina Holmes. Tip via Adam Rapoport for bon appétit)

19 comments:

Monica | Hola!design said...

I've been doing this! It's so hot here in Miami that the last thing I want to do is to stand in front of a hot stove. I've been eating smoothie bowls for breakfast, caprese salad for lunch, and ceviche for dinner. I feel healthier that ever!

Jill said...

I would not be able to commit to a whole month of not cooking! A week maybe. It hasn't been very hot here, so that prob has something to do with it.

Lauren said...

great idea!!! ...but here is winter now...I´ll made the challenge on january :)
Love!
Lauren

Emmy Weiss said...

This is a great idea. My house is way too hot during the summer, so cooking is out of the question until later in the evening, which is what I've been doing lately. I think I'll try finding non-cook meals instead. Thanks for the ideas! I know that I'll have no qualms over bread and olive oil. =)

Ooh maybe a gazpacho.

Jana || One Drawing A Day said...

Sounds so appealing-we had the tomatoes with oilive oil last night but drizzled some balsamic too and topped with cilantro! Yummy :)

Couture Carrie said...

So yummy!
Can't wait to check out some of your recipes!

xoxox,
CC

Art Farm said...

It has been a blissfully mild summer in Chicago this year, so it doesn't really need to happen. But how about this a fresh salad with every dinner. xo, Katie

Diana Mieczan said...

Monica, ceviche sounds amazing right about now:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, week sounds perfect:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Stay warm, Lauren:) xoxo

Diana Mieczan said...

Emmy, gazpacho sounds perfect!

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh so yummy, indeed Jana!

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie, a fresh salad with every dinner sounds superb! :)

Erin said...

But then you'd miss out on preserving all this incredible summer bounty for the winter months... I just put up 20 jars of apricot jam last week. It's hot and sweaty work, but it's glorious to open a jar in the greyness of February.

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

Now this is an idea I like!

Martie @ Spunkyrella said...

I truly like this Diana! During the day I eat mostly fresh uncooked in the summertime but we had a few cooler days lately and I craved homemade pasta with a rich tomato sauce, so I did it and it was glorious ;)

Diana Mieczan said...

Good point, Erin:) Btw: YUM to apricot jam!

Diana Mieczan said...

Yay Marieken:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh yummy, Martie:) Pasta is always a great idea.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk