When was the last time you had an apricot? This morning while sneaking into my friend's healthy living class, I learned that they are one of the most overlooked summer fruits. Somehow everyone goes for peaches and berries and forgets about apricots. I'm so guilty of it too!
So to encourage myself and you (hopefully) to reach for apricots instead of peaches the next time you are at the farmers’ market, here are a few (geeky, but cool) facts that might just help:
- supposedly in Latin, apricot means precious.
- one ounce (28 grams) of apricot contains enough beta carotene to supply 20 % of your daily vitamin A requirements. Crazy good, isn't it?
- the astronauts on the Apollo moon mission ate apricots.
- apricots are also packed with vitamin C that helps boost immune system.
- and to ripen apricots, you should place them in a closed paper bag at room temperature overnight.
P.S: Eat local + eat seasonal.
P.P.S: Breakfasting...and this sandwich with apricot jam :)
(Photo by Kara Rosenlund)