The secret to a stellar grilled cheese sandwich

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

How does ooey-gooey grilled cheese sandwich sound for dinner tonight? Recently I read that Gabriella Hamilton of NYC’s East Village Prune Restaurant finally spilled the beans on what it takes to make a stellar grilled cheese sandwich and I couldn't be more excited about it!

So if you fancy a secret to crispier, faster, better grilled cheese sandwiches, here it is: use mayonnaise instead of butter! It's that simple.

Gabriella swears by it and says it won't burn as quickly as butter, it won't stick to the pan, and it browns and crisps more evenly too. Plus it adds that wonderful richness that we all long for in a grilled cheese sandwich. You just need a few slices of rustic bread, mayonnaise and some shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese - that is all! (Full recipe here).

Can't wait for dinner tonight, you? xo

P.S: You might also like this one or this one.
P.P.S: Cheese and berries - The perfect pair!

(Photo via r.s. Tip via Food52)

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you can use mayonnaise for toasting bread. Now I know what we are having for lunch today. Jill

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, yay! We are making some for dinner :) Yum!

Martie @ Spunkyrella said...

Interesting! Personally I am feeling sick after having mayonnaise. One trick I like is to use different kind of cheeses. Usually a nice cheddar or gouda and jarlsberg do the trick for me. Also I like to rub the still hot great with a freshly cut garlic bit. It´s amazing!

Art Farm said...

WOW! I never would have thought of doing that. It sounds amazing and I have to try this. I also love to mix in a little chopped sweet onion, leek, chives and shallots with the cheese. It really adds a delicious flavor! xo, Katie

Anonymous said...

Thanks! You just have me my supper idea!! Blessings,
Grace

Couture Carrie said...

Yummy!!

xoxox,
CC

Lady Grey said...

I'm intrigued! At first I thought - yuck, hot mayo?! - but then why not? Mayo is basically just oil & egg yolk, so it makes total sense, and definitely worth a try!
Let us know if you try it, Diana, and how it turns out!
xo

Lady Grey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jillian Manesh said...

interesting tip!! i would have never tried that.... now i wish i had mayo in the fridge! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

oliviajamie said...

I made bread this morning and thought this would be perfect for dinner! And so we did it! For my husband I used Mayonnaise and for myself I used Vegonaise. It. was. delicious. Thanks for the easy and delish dinner idea, Diana! xo

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

Never knew that! I always add an extra slice of cheese on top. In my opinion there can never be too much cheese ;-)

Diana Mieczan said...

Martie, oh yes! Rubbing a bit of fresh garlic onto the slice always does the trick.

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie, I love the idea of adding leek and chives - yum!

Diana Mieczan said...

Grace, awesome:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jillian :)

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Olivia Jamie! We loved it too. What kind of bread did you make? I love bread recipes.

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh so true, Marieken!

Diana Mieczan said...

Vanessa, it's actually really great and you don't taste the mayo at all. It doesn't burn the bread and it makes the cheese melt beautifully. It also makes the bread crisp and it adds that wonderful texture to the sandwich. We couldn't get enough of it last night.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk