exPress-o Film Club: The Monuments Men

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The other night Balazs and I watched The Monuments Men. Have you seen it already? It's a 2014 drama with some totally endearing comedic moments, played by a stellar cast of George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bill Murray and Cate Blanchett, among others.

It's a true story of  an officer and art historian who leads a team of fellow art experts in pursuit of art treasures looted by the Nazis and returning them back to their rightful owners. The only problem is that as much as they love and know art, they are pretty clueless when it comes to war. So their sometimes great plans, result in mischief, a bit of heartache, a few laugh-out-loud moments and a dash of pure panic. It's one of those films that doesn't feel like a war story, it feels like a movie about the love for art, the adoration of beauty and a start of a great friendship. A must see!
Bits and bobs:
- George Clooney directed, co-wrote and starred in the film.
- George on films and shoes.
- The whole cast on Jimmy Kimmel.
- Giggle, George back in the day - 1985!
- More on the film...
- I loved Matt Damon in The Bourne Identity.
- George Clooney's prank on Matt - giggle!
- Hahah...still makes me laugh.
- Whenever I think of Bill Murray, what pops into my mind is Lost in Translation and Groundhog Day. You?
- Bill's bucket list :)
- Did you know that Bill was on the first ever episode of Late Show with David Letterman in 1982? (The year I was born).
- The other film I loved with Cate Blanchett was Blue Jasmine. She was amazing in it!
- Love!
- Remember John Goodman in Roseanne? Or Bob Balaban in Moonrise Kingdom? (One of my all time favourite films).

P.S: Plus this one and this one is pretty awesome too:)
P.S: Plus, a few other films that you might be in the mood for.

(Photos via IMDb)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very happy that your movie club posts are back. I was missing them. Jill

Art Farm said...

This is on my list to watch and you reminded me to bump it up in my queue! Such a stellar cast and topic that makes my heart beat. (I was an art history double major!) When I think of Bill Murray, I think of Groundhog Day and Ghostbusters. Love him! xo, Katie

ilovetrends said...

I watched it some weeks ago, and I liked it, but I was expecting something more.
xoxo

Felicity said...

Mal and I saw it some time ago and although it was a terrific story to bring to the big screen, I felt that it was lacking something, and that's saying something with such a stellar cast!
xx

Eliza Jane said...

Oooh I've been so wanting to see this movie! And I have always loved John Goodman - I think he's one of the most underrated actors ever. Thanks for these links, sweetie. xx

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..Jill:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie, you will LOVE this film:)

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Eliza and I totally agree about John Goodman.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk