Ex-lover's Shirt

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Wouldn’t you agree that most women have at least one keepsake from their former lover? Somehow after the relationship ends we still keep on to the memories and stories. Somehow there is always a photo or a shirt that can feel very sentimental because of a memory that used to be dear to us.

So, the brilliant photographer CarlaRichmond and writer Hanne Steen asked a group of women if they could photograph them wearing their ex-lover’s clothing, asking them to share their stories or memories and catch those utmost vulnerable moments we all have sometimes. Each of those ladies' stories are recorded as anonymous statements and strung together as unending poems. Here is to love and love lost...

It feels like a flag I can’t stop flying. It comforts me in the meantime between the spaces. It’s just a rag I turned into a promise that he would never leave. Some sort of common thread between us. Part of me wants to rip it off. So many what-ifs and could’ve-beens and should’ve-beens and never-weres. It’s just a shirt. It’s been there for me when people haven’t. It makes me feel childish and taken care of. It makes me look a little stronger than I am. As long as I hold onto the shirt she is never completely out of my life. I’d wear it every day if I could. As much as you build a house around it or put a ring on it it’s all still temporary and dissolving so all you can do is love it. Even if it’s painful we need to hold onto something. Proof that we did it. That we went through it. That we learned something. That our hearts were broken. That we were loved. That we weren’t loved enough. For someone I won’t be something that will be so easily shed.

Powerful, isn't it? xo

P.S: A soldier's story and raw emotions.
P.P.S: A sassy and beautiful GIVEAWAY Wednesday is coming up!

(via Feature Shoot)


Anonymous said...

Beautiful and powerful. Jill

Claudz said...


Tiffany Kadani said...

So powerful. Clothing is such a powerful thing for me, so I can definitely relate to these women.

Art Farm said...

Oh my! This is so beautiful and intense! I don't have any ex lover's shirts, but I do have a few old love letters. Sigh! Wow! xo, Katie

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk