Strawberry Galette

Thursday, June 5, 2014



Yesterday morning I couldn't sleep, so I sneaked out to the farmers market before Balazs and the dogs woke up. Don't you just love the feeling when you stroll down the almost empty morning city? It's so much quieter, very peaceful and in a way, meditative. The best part is that as soon as you get to the market, your senses awaken seeing all the beautiful colours and your imagination starts to work. I don't know why, but mornings like that make me feel so darn happy.

So, besides getting the most amazing eggplants, I also scored those beautiful local/organic strawberries and since they needed to be eaten quickly, as soon as I got back home, I made galette for breakfast. Balazs and I had it with a cup of coffee on the balcony before work.

Lovelies, if you're on a strawberry kick as well, you should definitely make one too. What do you think? Fancy a slice? xo

Ingredients
(Recipe by exPress-o)

Crust:
- 2-3 tablespoons of heavy cream
- ¼ cup of water (more or less)
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour 
 - 1/2 cup of unsalted butter cut into small pieces
Filling
- 4 cups of washed and cut fresh strawberries
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch 
Extras:
- 1 tablespoon of heavy cream

Using your fingers combine flour, butter and heavy cream in a bowl until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Next add water in a slow fashion while knitting the dough until the mixture just begins to hold together. Press dough into a disk using a rolling pin and wrap. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes. In the meantime, in a separate bowl toss your pre-sliced strawberries with brown sugar and cornstarch. Pre-heat the oven to 385 F and once the dough has chilled, roll it out to your desired size. Place the dough on a parchment lined sheet tray and arrange the strawberries in the center of your dough. Leave 1 ½ inches surrounding the strawberries and fold this up on top of them pleating as you fold so that it securely encases the fruit. Brush the top of the crust with cream and bake at 385 degrees for about 20-30 minutes. It all depends on how juicy your strawberries are and on your oven. Ta dah!

P.S: Also, here is my other favourite galette with peaches.
P.P.S: Plus, lavender lemonade, blueberry sorbet, Nutella French toast and soft pretzels.

(Photos by exPress-o)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to go over to your house for breakfast. Diana it looks heavenly. Jill

Anonymous said...

I want to go over to your house for breakfast. Diana it looks heavenly. Jill

Art Farm said...

I love waking up before most of the city. It is always so peaceful. And can I come over for a slice?! Your galette looks absolutely scrumptious! xo, Katie

Diana Mieczan said...

Sounds perfect. We totally should have breakfast together, Jill:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally, Katie. I would love that and yes, morning city always feels so peaceful.

Steph said...

I absolutely love waking up at the crack of dawn (as long as it's not to an alarm clock) and sneaking out of the house to enjoy the first few hours to myself. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure. Jorge often wakes up and I'm already in the park with my tea and my book soaking up the first rays of early morning sun with dew still on the grass. This looks amazing. And I'm totally crashing breakfast with you and Jill if that's allowed. Hahaha :) xo

Jillian Manesh said...

omg YUM!! this is making me so hungry! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Betta sp said...

omnomnomnom...:3

Diana Mieczan said...

I would love that, Steph:) It's a date! xoxo

Diana Mieczan said...

Jillian and Betta :)

Annie said...

love how simple it is! wonder how it would be with honey instead of sugar.. xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk