One Life to Live

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A while ago I stumbled upon one of Mary Beth’s older posts about the journey to simplify your life, live the way you want and enjoy every moment of it. Ever since then, I’ve been keeping the link to it in my favourites bar. Somehow, from time to time, whenever I need a tiny ‘pick me up’ after a little step back or a motivation boost on a gloomy day, I go back to it and read those few paragraphs:

"There is a part of me that loves the idea of living against the grain of culture. Of doing things that are slightly crazy, or don’t make complete sense. As we lightened our load and got rid of the excess, we began feeling more and more liberated. And less and less hindered. We began looking at life like not what is the next thing we can get, but what is the next thing we want to do? I began dreaming about the future again and allowing my mind to wander….what if we actually pursued our dreams? Not just talked about it, but did them. What if we dared to live a little braver, and get outside of our comfort zones? What if we set our own course for our family, and not the one we were expected to take?

I guess what I’ve learned from our simplifying journey is to keep an open mind. You’ll feel like you have to do what other people are doing, or “fit in” with clothes and cars and houses, but I really think the whole thing is a trap. A trap to get you to always be looking for something, something you’ll never find it. You’ll always want something you can’t have, or wish you could be someone else and have their “perfect” life. But it’s all such a lie.

I overheard Leland Orser talking with what looked like an extremely wealthy Tulsan. He said, “I used to think I had to keep up. And when I finally realized I didn’t, it was so much better.” The wealthy Tulsan agreed and they shook there heads knowingly, like a huge weight had been delivered from their shoulders. Here was a person who had fame, a successful career, and money, and he was saying it all wasn’t what was truly important.

When people ask why we have made the choices we’ve made in the past few years, how we got on this idea of simplifying and downsizing, and experiencing more, I guess you could say we saw that life was short. We saw that we only get one shot at this. And we wanted to live a well-examined life."

Ah, it's really not about fitting in or keeping up, isn't it? It's about living your life the way you want to...Say it out loud, you will see how freeing that feels:) xo

P.S: Forget multitasking, try monotasking.
P.P.S: Maia's secret and how to have a great life full of simple pleasures.

(Photo via Annapolis & Co)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark my husband and I were recently thinking about selling the second car and a few other things to put the money we get toward a trip somewhere beautiful. We don't really need the car and it will be much healthier for us to walk more.

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, I love that! What a great idea and a wonderful way to be healthier:)

Art Farm said...

Using the money from the car sale, Anon, for a trip is such a fantastic idea! Love that! Diana, my dear, I will have to go and read all of this post, but these lines really spoke to me.
You’ll feel like you have to do what other people are doing, or “fit in” with clothes and cars and houses, but I really think the whole thing is a trap. A trap to get you to always be looking for something, something you’ll never find it. You’ll always want something you can’t have, or wish you could be someone else and have their “perfect” life. But it’s all such a lie.
Sometimes I'll get caught up in thinking I'll need this and my life will be "perfect" and it NEVER turns out that way and I've actually turned out to be less happy when I have more stuff. Getting rid of stuff and not following the norm makes me feel lighter and happier. Thank you for sharing this post! xo, Katie

mary beth said...

Thank you for sharing how that post encouraged you. You have no idea how much that meant to me!

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Katie:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww...you are so sweet, Mary Beth:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk