You Are What You Eat

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

How would you define your eating habits?

Ever since I read Alex’s 30 days paleo challenge, I once again realized that what we eat makes for who we are. Here is my logic: if you nourish your body with good, fresh food that agrees with you, you are contributing to your overall wellbeing and happiness. I’m the first one to admit that drastic diets scare me, but looking at people around me, I’m realizing that no matter what diet or health plan you’re on, the most important is how it makes you feel on the long run.

For example, as soon as Alex started her paleo journey, she noticed huge changes to her energy level, her skin got beautifully glowy, and she felt strong and happy. After her challenge came to a finish, she decided to keep the aspects of the diet she felt were helping her leading a better life, while added the things she missed - like chocolate or brown rice.


Others swear by cutting down on dairy or going all gluten free. I know things like that work for some since my best friend, after years of struggling with bloating and bad skin, finally feels healthy and is full of energy after she stopped eating gluten altogether. Balazs and I experimented with vegetarianism, cutting out sugar or dairy, but we came to a conclusion that the best way for us is to eat as fresh and clean as possible without depriving ourselves.

To our surprise, our bodies chose our diet on their own. It’s still a learning process every single week, but it's amazing to see how our body tells us when we shouldn't eat something. For example, the other day I bought a box of those yummy coffee shop donuts out of an impulse craving and I spent the whole night regretting it. Solution: I will surely pass on them next time around! On the other hand, each time we have a smoothie in the morning instead of coffee, we feel energized for much longer.

This made me realize that we truly are what we eat. Do tell me about your diet! What do you eat, how do you prepare meals? How often do you eat out? I’d love to hear your tips on happy, healthy diets that work for you. xo

P.S: Foodie confessions.
P.P.S: Vegan before 6pm?

(Photos by Kinfolk and Garance Doré)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Timely topic since we just found out that I am pregnant. It's time for me to get healthier as my normal diet revolves around no breakfast, on the go lunch in the office and a big healthy salad for dinner. Need to change so thank you for all the tips.

Jillian Manesh said...

love this! my husband and i cook almost every night(we go out once a week with his dad) and we are trying really hard to make almost everything from scratch and get away from using prepackaged processed foods. i really love the amount of veggies that we are fitting into our diet and i have never felt healthier! now i need to work on my sweet tooth!xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Merry Meri said...

Healthy living is totally in the eyes of the beholder and I agree that you have to listen to your body not just the latest fad. What's so difficult is not letting your mind (donut cravings, french fries, a second helping of ANYTHING delicious!) overrule your good intentions. I really struggle to make healthy decisions bc food is so tasty!! Good for you eating so well. Happy Wednesday, xox!

Art Farm said...

I've been a vegetarian for 17 years and my husband has been one for 27 years (!!!). What I've learned is that it's all about tuning into your body and listening and watching how you respond to what you eat. When I "fall off the wagon" and eat too much junk and not enough fresh veg/drink water/etc., I notice my skin breaks out more and I feel bloated and not so good. Seeing that connection is so important and helps you change. Toby and I make most of our meals from scratch and only eat out maybe once or twice a week. Great, thought-provoking questions, my dear! xo, katie

Melissa Blake said...

Ugh!!!! Now i'm feeling guilty for the peppermint patties i just ate... LOL

Monica | Hola!design said...

My rule to eat is to listen to my body. And give it what it craves. Most of the time it asks for healthy, whole foods. But sometimes it asks for chocolate or chips or beer! I figure it's still healthy if it feeds the soul.

Diana Mieczan said...

Awww....Anonymous! Huge congrats!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

How brilliant, Jillian! We cook most nights as well:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh Meri, I totally know what you mean...food is so darn tasty and it's hard to resist:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie, how amazing!

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Melissa:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally agree, Monica:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk