What Our Moms Taught Us About Cooking

Thursday, May 8, 2014

What did your mom teach you about cooking or food? Yesterday, The Kitchn editors shared their fond memories of cooking with their moms that melted my heart.

Anjali, for example learned the importance of always sitting down around the table as a family. Emma has her mom to thank for her love of desserts and Ariel’s mom helped her realize the importance of tradition in food. But the one I loved most was Cambria’s story, she said that her mom made her realize that cooking is a true labor of love, with its ups and downs and all the messiness. Just embrace it and roll with it, because in the end it’s all about caring for those you love. Sweet, isn't it?

One of my first memories of my mom and me in the kitchen was when she taught me how to make ‘Kogel mogel’. My mom wasn’t and still isn’t a huge cook and I’m positive the recipe came from my dad or my grandma, but I remember her immaculately telling me the proportions to this eggnog type of dessert that kids back in the 80s loved. It’s rather unappetizing now since it’s basically a raw egg yolk, sugar and coco powder but back then it was the best treat me and her would share while chatting about my adventures in the kindergarten. So essentially, my mom taught me how to enjoy the simple flavours if they are mixed with good company. Your turn. xo

P.S: From grandma with love.
P.P.S: Food swap + don't miss our sassy Mother's Day necklace GIVEAWAY!

(Photo of my mom (on the left), my brother, me as a baby and my grandma - 1982/83)


Anonymous said...

Let me start by saying how sweet your baby photo is. Now onto my mom's cooking. My mom was a stay-at-home mom for most of our childhood so she cooked daily and my love for Italian food comes from her. She used to make everything from scratch: pasta, sauces, you name it. I'm not that good as she was but my husband says my gnocchi are best he ever had.

Diana Mieczan said...

Awww, anonymous, thanks! Somehow that photo always makes me smile:) Your mom sounds wonderful and I so want to try your gnocchi now. I love Italian food so much!

Pamela Bates said...

i love that story. I've never hears of kogel mogel, but I do love eggnog so I imagine I'd like it. Your gram totally looks like my best friends mom in law. A real Cork Irish woman she was and she could cook a fine, huge meal.

My mom was the casserole queen, well, because she was cooking for 5 kids, herself and my dad. that's a lot of mouths to feed. I still think her tuna noodle casserole is the best and love it. and she just sent leftovers of her chicken and rice bake the other night, another i love. so I guess she taught me that no matter how simple, when things are made with love they taste gourmet. she also makes a mean braciole and spaghetti and meatballs too. great sauce! (braciole is a stuffed and rolled flank steak in tomato sauce http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/braciole It's delish!)

Pamela Bates said...

ps- you're mom's dress is the bomb!and look at your brother looks so happy to be holding you. too cute

Tiffany Kadani said...

I love this post so much.

My mom didn't start cooking until I was out of the house, but she's amazing. She just loves people and so her food is always spot on delicious.

Art Farm said...

I love this family photo so much! My Mom was a pretty great cook. She was always very relaxed in the kitchen and let us help, especially when it came to baking cookies. Maybe that's why I like to bake so much! :) xo, Katie

Diana Mieczan said...

Pamela, your comment made my day. Your mom is awesome and I totally want to try braciole now. Btw: after posting this photo, I called my mom asking if she still has that dress. Sadly, she doesn't but I agree, it's a sassy dress.

Diana Mieczan said...

Tiffany, awww....Love!

Diana Mieczan said...


Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk