Going natural...

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

What beauty products do you use?  
A few months ago my friend Sofia and I set ourselves a challenge to gradually but consciously swap our regular beauty products for natural ones. What triggered it were the puzzling unpronounceable ingredient lists and row of numbers on our lotions and creams. We didn’t want to do this in one go or spend too much money since the general consensus is that natural beauty is way more expensive nowadays. Plus, nothing that is done quickly will ever stick, so we started with the things we use daily like face cream, lipstick, body lotion, soap or tooth paste.  

Once we are comfortable with our basics, we'll move onto the other products as they are running out. Using a few clever tips we are now on the way to an unfussy, natural, conscious and healthy daily beauty regime.

So here are a few tips we learned from Jessa and a few we figured on the way.

What to do:
- Always read labels
- Choose products that are fragrance-free as they can cause allergic reactions
- Toss your mascara every 3-5 months
- Less is more, so don't overuse your creams and lotions.
- Go easy on soap. I use a cheap baby soap once a day on my face and water, plus this toner the second time. It’s important to preserve your own natural skin oils and prevent dry skin
- Try products that have multi-uses like coconut oil or apple cider vinegar
- When trying new products, allow up to 14 days before seeing the results
- Don't buy beauty products by age (like when they say you should start using anti-wrinkle creams after 30). If you feel like you need to, do it, but if you don't, go with your gut.
-  Plus, while reading labels avoid those:

And here are a few things I use and really like:
- Coconut oil as lotion in the morning
- Rosebud Salve for my lips
- Ultra Balm by Lush as a lotion for the evening and as my go-to hair oil
- Honey soap as shower soap
- This toner - I swear by it!
- Korres essential oils as daily perfume.
- This lippy
-  And I just started to use Jason's cinnamon mint tooth paste.

If you are not comfortable with natural ingredients like coconut oil or honey, try brands that stand for natural, organic and harmless beauty like Lush, Korres, Aespo, Herbivore Botanicals.

Since it's a process, I'm still trying to find my go-to face cream and a few little gems, so I would love to know about your beauty routine. What do you swear by? What does your skin like? What are your go-to products? What would you recommend to your friends? xo

P.S: In a need for a reboot?
P.P.S: How to have a great life full of simple pleasures.

(Tips via Jessa Blades via A Blog About Love. Photos via That Kind of Woman)


Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the handy tips. I've been playing with the idea of swapping to the natural side for the longest time but I didn't know how easy it really is. I cannot wait to follow your tips.

Art Farm said...

That's awesome you and Sofia are moving towards more all-natural products! You might really enjoy the skincare brand Pai. I've used their cleanser from time to time since my skin can be very sensitive and reactive. Their products are organic and formulated for sensitive skin. They have a few moisturizers, so maybe try them out when you run out of theirs. I now avoid anything with SLS, which is a foaming agent which really dries out your skin. Since I've made that switch, my skin is much more comfortable. xo, Katie

Betta sp said...

natural is the best, they show slow effects but once u got the result u never regret

Anonymous said...

A great read on this subject is 'No More Dirty Looks' by Siobhan O’Connor and Alexandra Spun.
Also visit their blog for hundreds of reviews on natural products! (nomoredirtylooks.com)

I've been clean on everything (but mascara!) for the past year or so and it's AMAZING. Less problems with your skin, and supporting small companies that really have health, enviroment, fair trade and beauty at the top of their priorities (not making money!) Plus, since it's gaining momentum there is a VAST varity of everything from hair, skin, makeup, you name it, in multiple brands.

Make the investment and then get others on board :)
It doesn't have to be expensive!
For those in Canada, check out;

Jillian Manesh said...

awesome tips! i just started thinking that i want to start using more natural beauty products -- so this post is perfect for beginners! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Monica | Hola!design said...

Yes! I'm all for going natural! I cleanse my face with organic cold pressed hemp seed oil. It's the best for acne prone skin. It doesn't clog your pores and since it's a green color it evens out redness on the face. For toner, I make my own with green tea and apple cider vinegar. Every week I apply a mask with rice flour and honey that leaves my skin super soft.
oh! and I use coconut oil as body lotion!

HelloSweetcheeks said...

I try to be as natural as possible with all my products. I love the Avalon Organic Botanicals Facial Cleansing Milk Organic Lavender & matching lotion for my face.

Diana Mieczan said...

Awesome and my pleasure, Anonymous.

Diana Mieczan said...

I love that, Katie and I will surely check out Pai. Thanks, lovely.

Diana Mieczan said...

So true, Betta!

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks for the tip, Anonymous. I will check out their site for sure.

Diana Mieczan said...

Yay Jillian:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Monica, you are AMAZING! I need to try your rice flour and honey mask. Sounds incredible!

Diana Mieczan said...

That facial cleansing milk sounds great, HelloSweetcheeks:)

va said...

I made a change a long time back about maybe 5 years ago to throw out all the brand-name beauty and skincare products I had . It was tough but I don't regret . In India there are natural options but not like in North America and Europe . I have stopped wearing makeup like lipsticks because the ones I have I still use which are expired , lol . I have peacekeeper cause-metics , nvey lip gloss in A bright red color , 100 percent pure lip and cheek tints and gloss - my fav. brand for beauty and the owner of the company is super friendly , and many more .
badger lip balm and products
I recommend you just going to a health shop and looking for products but make sure you always read the label and if you don't understand what's in it , then better not to buy it .

va said...

I hate to say this but Lush and Korres have a lot of toxic ingredients in their products . They use chemicals and mix it with their natural ingredients . I use to use both brands but stopped because they didn't have anything on their label that I was comfortable using . For example Lush uses propylene glycol in their soaps which is from car petroleum .

Carmen said...

I have recently tried One Love Organics and I liked the powder exfoliant and their Skin Saviour balm.

I have also tried the Egyptian Magic, which has recently arrived to Spain, and it works, but as coconut oil does so it does not make a huge difference.

Korres is great (their coloured lip balms are a must) and another Greek brand, APIVITA, has also great products (shampoos, single use masks).


Anonymous said...

I used to love Lush, too, but I also noticed that a lot of their products contain parabens.. I use Juice Beauty`s green apple anti-wrinkle face cream, it is a wonderful brand, and this product works just perfect for me. As an eye-wonder-worker, I am planning to use argan oil. I read that if we apply it before bed, it makes a huge difference in the morning. they don`t recommend it under makeup, though. For my body lotion, foot balm and liptint, I use Burt`s Bees. My husband has very oily skin, the coconut oil fixed his problem. As a shower gel and shampoo, I use Dr.Bronner`s soap, it is amazingly good, refreshing and I don`t really need a body lotion. Christine

Annie said...

These are a few of my favorites: http://www.pinterest.com/branchandvine/favorite-natural-beauty-products/
:) xo

Anonymous said...

I'm 49 days and have used many creams over the years. Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream is my first choice, always. When I get my facials, I'm always told how great my skin is and how much younger I appear. Here are some others: Jason Body Wash (chamomile smells great!), Kiss My Face Lavendar lotion, Weleda or Dr. Hauschka lip treatment, Queen Helene Apricot exfoliant (2x a week), Olive oil after shower, while body is still wet and dry naturally, if time permits, a brush of lemon under arms, as deodorant (Only 2 days/wk because it can burn skin, but works well!!), coconut oil as make up remover and Aveda leave in conditioner for hair.

Anonymous said...

* 49 years old.

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, I tried your olive oil after shower trick and I love it. Thanks so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk