French Omelette á la Julia Child

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Any Julia Child's fans around? My goal before the weekend is to master Julia Child's technique of the perfect French omelette from her 1960s The French Cooking episode above.

She brilliantly showcases how to do the French classic in 3 different, but equally scrumptious ways. Now over to Julia, who explains what a true magnifique omelette is all about:

"A good French omelette is a smooth, gently swelling, golden oval that is tender and creamy inside. Learning to make a good omelette is entirely a matter of practice. Do one after another for groups of people every chance you get for several days, and even be willing to throw some away. You should soon develop the art, as well as your own personal omelette style."

For the next 3 mornings I'm going to do just that, so by the weekend I can make us and our friends, who are flying in for a little visit a French omelette breakfast perfection. According to Julia, omelette takes only 20 seconds to make. You should only use 2 or 3 eggs for your omelette if you want it to be super tender and moist. Use chopsticks to whisk and add a dash of water to the egg mixture before pouring it into your super-hot buttery pan. To master the pan folding method, you can use dry beans – no shame in that!

Anyhow, watch it yourself, Julia explains all:) Psst: and here is the step by step how to if, by any chance, you get an omelette craving. Bon appétit! xo

P.S: Also, Julia's garlic tip and her genius poached egg trick.
P.P.S: Let's chat work-life balance.

(Photos by Emma Jane Kepley - Food52 and quote via Eat This Poem)


Anonymous said...

I haven't seen her cooking episodes for a while now which is strange since I love her. Now, I know what I am making for dinner tonight. Thanks. Jill

Steph said...

This is not a post I should be reading at 5 minutes to noon...!

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Steph:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, here are over 50 episodes of The French Cook with Julia Child:

HelloSweetcheeks said...

I wish I had this right now! *Stomach Grumbles*

Tiffany Kadani said...

YUM! I either make a rockin omelette, or it's basically scrambled eggs haha!

Pixelhazard said...

Oh great, now I have to try this tomorrow morning. I'll have to make do with silverbeet filling

Pixelhazard | Bright Green Laces |

Jillian Manesh said...

this beats the oatmeal i had for breakfast! yumm! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Mandy Doornenbal said...

This made me really hungry. Mmm it looks so tasty!

Art Farm said...

Oh man, now I want a omelette! I'm a whiz at scrambled eggs, but have yet to perfect the omelette. -Katie

Pamela Bates said...

omelettes. my favorite breakfast. i have perfected the one egg omelette.

i have to say, i've never seen anybody 'mash' an omelette together before like those pics, but I say, hey......whatever works. it will all taste the same!
now, get to it. wish i was coming to brunch.

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Call me untraditional, but I've always preferred the scramble to the traditional omelet.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk