How to Frenchify your hair

Thursday, April 24, 2014

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been lusting over French girls' hair. Somehow their locks always look perfectly messy, uber cool, wavy, beautifully understated, yet so darn stylish, wouldn't you agree?

So after tons of fails, I finally stumbled upon Alex's post where she asked all her French readers to help her out and share their secret tricks. They all delivered and funnily enough, they all follow the same rules - which is brilliant!  So, if you fancy to Frenchify your hair, here are the 5 golden rules that are actually super simple (and very surprising) but they will transform your locks in no time:

1. Wash your hair maximum 3 times a week (less would be even better) with a plain supermarket shampoo. No other products are really necessary but you can use a bit of hair oil if you really need to. Make sure not to use conditioner as it will make your hair flat and straight.

2. When you wash your hair, always do it in the evening and go to sleep with your hair still wet. Some girls leave their hair down while sleeping (I do), others put it up in a top knot. You should try both and see which works for you.

3. If you prefer washing your hair in the morning, never blow dry it but always air-dry it. Wind on the streets or draft in the subway will only do them good.

4. If your hair is very straight, brush it as infrequently as possible without letting it all go to knots but try avoiding daily brushing and if you really need to, only do it wet.

5. Rule to remember: the less tempering and touching, the healthier your hair will look on the long run. Basically, going through your day without thinking too much of your hair is the best tip to achieve French girls' hair:)

I’ve been doing all those things for the past  few weeks and my hair looks pretty much like Caroline’s above. Bingo! I even got a few compliments, so I must be doing something right! Somehow simplifying my hair routine made all the difference and my hair looks so healthy!

What do you think? Would you try any of the tips above? xo

P.S: How to dress like a true Parisian + DNA of Parisian style.
P.P.S: What do French woman have that we don't?

(Tips via Garance Doré's amazing French readers. Photos by Garance Doré and via Lianna)

20 comments:

Steph said...

Wow, would have thought it would mean doing LESS! I adore french girl hair. Le sigh. I shall try... You should post a photo of yours! Happy almost weekend, lovely x

That's Not My Age said...

I'd try the cheap shampoo! I'm not French but I always leave mine to dry naturally & then give it a quick blast with the hair dryer.

Camila Faria said...

LOVE french girl's hair! I guess I'm doing everything wrong... I have to try the plain supermarket shampoo + no conditioner idea!

Diana Mieczan said...

I really should, indeed:) I will try to ask Balazs to snap a photo over the weekend, Steph.

Diana Mieczan said...

That's Not My Age, cheap shampoos are the best because they contain the least chemicals.

Diana Mieczan said...

Camila, you will LOVE it! I promise:)

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

I want my hair to be franchified too! I never blow dry, but that's mostly because I always seem to be in a hurry in the mornings..

Diana Mieczan said...

Marieken:)

Art Farm said...

Another trick I've heard is some dry texturizing spray really helps give your hair some grit and volume. Oribe makes one that a lot of beauty bloggers rave about. I just got some by Sachajuan and it is seriously volume in a can! -Katie

lucent imagery said...

So timely, for it's been 6 weeks since I broke up with my hairdryer and I keep meaning to blog about it. Through trial and error I finally found what works for my hair, and have embraced it's natural waves. And the steps here are essentially what I've discovered, except I've been putting several top knots across my head to sleep in if I want it more curly. I look funny walking around at home, but it's worth it!

Vanisha @ A Life Un-Styled said...

I will definitely be trying this! I've almost run out of conditioner so this is the perfect time to throw it out of my hair care routine altogether. I'll have to let you know how I go in a few weeks xoxox

Mummy Joanne said...

I alway thought my hair is so frizzy n messy! After read this post I going embrace my frizzy and messy hair more. :) I Duno like to blow dry my hair n I wash them every morning.

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie, it sounds awesome! I will surely check it out. Thanks, sweetie.

Diana Mieczan said...

lucent imagery, I love your idea of tons of little knots:) I will totally try it.

Diana Mieczan said...

Can't wait to hear how it worked out for you, Vanisha:)

Diana Mieczan said...

YAY, I love your comment, Mummy Joanne :)

Mamy2k4 said...

I think this could work just for straight or light curly hair.
I'm already doing more or less the same thing described above, but my messy and very curly hair don't obey to nothing.....
In every way they are doing what they want. I'm trying to tame them since my teens, but it's really a mission impossible, so, lucky you girls with straight hairs!

Diana Mieczan said...

Mamy2k4, I always wanted curly hair:) Yes, those tips are mostly for straight and lightly curly hair. Btw: I bet your hair is stunning!

Rhianna Dupla said...

My hair honestly gets sooo greasy if I don't wash it daily or every other day.
Any tips?

Diana Mieczan said...

Rhianna, have you tried using a dry shampoo? It works great on greasy hair and this way you wont have to wash your hair daily. Hope that helps:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk