Frozen Denim

Monday, April 7, 2014

Ok, here is something crazy! Did you know that you should never wash your raw or dry (expensive) denims?

Yesterday, I went over to a friend for a cup of coffee and while chatting she pulled out a zip-lock bag out of the freezer with her dark denims like "no big deal, I'm just doing laundry"- kind of way. I always knew she does something great to her jeans because all her Levi’s look amazing...but freezing?! I had no idea! After the initial giggle, she explained that years ago when she bought her first pair of more expensive jeans, the guy in the Levi’s shop told her this was the way to keep them super durable.

After I got back home I went online and realized that Madewell, Diesel and many more jean stores say the same thing. So, my plan is to try this next week when I get myself a new pair of skinny jeans.

If you fancy trying it too, here is what you should do: when your raw jeans start feeling unfresh, clean them with your hands from any spots, pack them in a plastic bag and freeze them for a day or two. Supposedly, freezing kills the bacteria and 'washes' them without fading or shrinking in the process. Who knew? I would love to know what you think about this. Would you try it? Do you do it regularly? xo

P.S: Plaid shirt and jeans.
P.P.S: Plus, candy floss take on jeans:)

(Photos via Rebecca Baust and by Madewell)

17 comments:

Vintage Market Place said...

Wow i worked in vintage denim for years and never heard of this! Amazing. Totally giving it a try
Amy

Jillian Manesh said...

wow! ive never heard of this but now i want to try it! so interesting! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

I have heard you shouldn't wash them too often, but I've never heard of freezing them!

Art Farm said...

I have never heard of this before. Next time I buy some jeans, I might have to try this. Although I know my husband will raise his eyebrow at this one. Ha! Keep us updated on how this goes, Diana! xo, Katie

Melissa Blake said...

Who knew? That's pretty cool!

Tiffany Kadani said...

YES! I am sooo doing this!

Pamela Bates said...

can't say I ever hear of that one.......let us know how it works for you

Martie @ Spunkyrella said...

Honestly, I didn´t know about this. Still it seems a but `yucky´ to me because what about sweat and such. I don´t believe that freezing your denim will get rid of that...

Diana Mieczan said...

Yay Amy:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally interesting isn't it, Jillian?

Diana Mieczan said...

I will, Katie:) Balazs was laughting when I told him about this trick - giggle.

Diana Mieczan said...

Tiffany:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Pam, I will!

Steph said...

Wow, this is the most fascinating thing I've read all day! Definitely trying this. Thanks for the useful advice. xo

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Steph:)

Melissa Cook said...

Have I told you yet today how much I love your style and food posts? Favorites! <<3

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww, Melissa you're so sweet! xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk