Four Easy Rules To Effortless Stripes

Tuesday, April 1, 2014




I’m not sure if I mentioned this before but I’m bananas for striped tees. So much so that when I find a right fit, I tend to buy them in bulk: 1. because I can’t pick between the different colour combinations and 2. because I would buy them eventually anyhow!

I remember years ago a friend told me a few basic rules to wearing stripes that made me realize that if I can follow them, I am set for life. So if you are a bit intimidated by stripes or you think that they don’t look flattering on you, here are a few simple rules to achieve striped outfit perfection this spring:

- vertically striped blouses or tees always look great with white pants or your favourite jeans.
- slimmer stripes are much easier to pull off while thicker stripes are bolder and more eye catching so be careful what you pair them up with.
- vertically striped pants or skirts will always make you look taller but only when worn with solid-coloured tees.
- when it comes to dresses, horizontal stripes will optically widen your shape and create curves.

Do you wear stripes? What is your favourite colour combo? Nowadays, I am all about the classic Breton striped boatneck tees with rolled up sleeves. Perfection! You?

P.S: How about stripes on stripes?
P.P.S: Plus, a bolder twist on bloggers uniform.

(Photos by/via Le Fashion, Sincerely Jules, Musings in Femininity, Cabi, ELLE)

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are great tips. I have a few stripy tops but I don't wear them often because I'm not sure if the look good on me but now I will. Thanks. Jill

Elle Sees said...

stripes are my FAVE. i seriously have about 20 of them. obsessed.

yumyumyummy! said...

I have two dresses (and another one on the way), countless t-shirts in different colors, I love them!
Sometimes I wonder if it's because I'm French... lol

Tiffany Kadani said...

I always love the look of stripes, but feel so wide. I think I need to invest in some nicer quality striped things because they are so cute and timeless.

Tiffany Kadani said...

And I should try these tips, too. I'm sure that would help with my phobia. Thank you!

Pamela Bates said...

do I wear stripes? are you kidding me? hell yeah. I too am bananas about stripes. my favorite color combo, the classic navy and white. though I do have a tshirt I love that is black and gray.

Art Farm said...

I love stripes! In fact I'm wearing a striped shirt today. These are all fantastic tips. My favorite way to wear them is a classic breton with jeans and either booties or for a more casual look sneakers. Have a great day dearie! xo, Katie

Jillian Manesh said...

yes! i LOVE stripes! and these photos make me want to buy even more! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Carried Away said...

I absolutly love stripes. I keep on buying them like a mad person.

LyddieGal said...

Oh stripes, how I adore them! Is there any better print?
Chic on the Cheap

Mamy2k4 said...

I absolutely love stripes! Me too, I'm wearing it also today with: boyfriend jeans, a little Fred Perry burgundy cardigan, light gray sneakers, and I feel great!
Have a nice day, wonderful post

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, I am so glad you like the tips!

Diana Mieczan said...

yumyumyummy!, I LOVE your comment:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Tiffany, try those super thin striped tops, I bet you will love them.

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Pamela:) That is my favourite combination as well.

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, same here, Carried Away :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Ah, I love your outfit today, Mamy2k4 :) Sounds awesome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk