Food Swap

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Have you ever taken part in a food swap? Would you? For months now, I’ve been fascinated by the whole food swap culture around the world including Brooklyn, NYC, the UK, France and even Amsterdam.

The whole concept of food swap is based on a simple rule: no exchange of money just trading of healthy, mostly organic food that participants made, grew, or found themselves – food is the only currency! It can be anything from a homemade bread, scones, granola, cakes, kombucha or pasta, a stellar fruit preserve that you’ve been making for years, to home-grown herbs or organic veggies you grew in your garden.

What I love about the process is that you can meet tons of amazing people who create stunning flavour combinations, make new friends who love food, try new goodies that you might never have tried otherwise and exchange stories about how your recipes came about. It’s all about passion for local, healthy food and it works pretty simple too. You just walk around all the stations; chat, taste and whenever you fancy something, you try to trade one or a few of your goodies for the product you want. Straight forward, isn’t it?  What do you think? Would you or wouldn’t you? xo

P.S: Vegan before 6pm?
P.P.S: From grandma with love and the hungry planet.

(Photos via/by Poketo, Primal Bites, Santa Monica Food Swap and LA Food Swap)

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like something I would love to try. I could make my homemade orange/vanilla jam.

Art Farm said...

I did a food swap with a few friends a couple years ago. It was a lot of fun! Our group was small, mostly only 4 of us. So that was really manageable.

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

Sounds like a super plan! Every couple of months, me and some friends organise a high tea, where everyone brings a sweet dish, and something savoury. It's always fun to see who comes up with what.

Currumichuti said...

amazing! I´d love to participate! But, here there`s no food swap...I´m gonna organize one :)
Love Diana

ps: I read the post the hungry planet and it´s wawww!!!!

Jillian Manesh said...

what a fun idea!! i need to incorporate this into my monthly book club. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

LyddieGal said...

what a lovely idea! It would be so marvelous to organize one in my area!
Chic on the Cheap

Liz Halle said...

I love this. I have done pen pal box swaps with food from our towns and it was great!

xo

Polly Rowan said...

A great idea! Especially if you make things in big batches and can't finish it all!

Steph said...

Interesting! I'd definitely try this. Sounds like a great way to start conversations with some fascinating people and try some tasty new food. x

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie, I love the idea of starting small. How fun!

Diana Mieczan said...

How brilliant, Marieken:)

Diana Mieczan said...

You totally should, Currumichuti:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jillian, great idea!

Diana Mieczan said...

Liz, pen pal food box swaps? How awesome is that? LOVE!

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally true, Polly.

Diana Mieczan said...

Steph, totally agree. Wish I was in London right now...we could organize one together:)

tutusandtea said...

This is just too much fun, what a brilliant idea!! Us Boston ladies are coordinating :))) Thanks for the inspiration Diana!

Diana Mieczan said...

Tutusandtea, yay! I am so happy about that, sweetie:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk