Spring Reboot

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Recently Ashley wrote that the beginning of spring is like hitting a reset button and I couldn’t agree more. You? Somehow spring feels like nature’s New Year celebration, when we shed our heavy coats or endless layers and bring out the light-breezy tops with rolled up sleeves and Converse, while desperately trying to saviour every new ray of sunshine. Sounds familiar?

So with any change of wardrobe, it’s always good to make little tweaks to our eating/living habits too. Nothing drastic or time taking, just little things that will make a huge difference on the long run. So, here are a few of Ashley's suggestions that I’ve been following religiously for the past 3 weeks in preparations for spring. They really work! Somehow changing a few little things made my body’s winter-spring transition so much smoother and less tiring, as usually I get the typical spring-overwhelmness as soon as the 1st of March hits the calendar:

- I started to add a bit of honey to my morning lemon water as a treat and a great way to get my sugar level up first thing in the morning.
- Balazs and I drink smoothies daily like it’s our job and since we don’t like taking vitamin pills, this is our natural way to add vitamins to our system. We love mango/grape/chia/banana combo most and we just started to make a cucumber/chia/mint/kiwi/lime/apple juice. Both give a great instant boost of energy to deal with the spring weather mood-swings.
- Our last few weeks were all about "out with frying" and "in with steaming/poaching". Lighter and healthier meals mean more nutrition to keep us healthy during the early spring madness.
- I also started to use homemade body scrub to give some love to my dry and tired winter skin before showing off my bare legs this spring. A mix of coconut oil, raw sugar and rosemary essential oil is my favourite so far.

Any other spring transition tips you’d like to add to the list? I would love to know how do you deal with the season change? xo

P.S: How to have a great life full of simple pleasures.
P.P.S: How to wear spring scarves like a true Parisian.

(Photos by Emily Blake. Tips via Darling Magazine)

14 comments:

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

Spring really is nature's renewal for the year! Mmm now you have me thinking of smoothies - I wish our blender worked! I need a new one!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Anonymous said...

I can't get enough of your beautiful and natural posts lately Diana. I will surely follow the list from now on.

Jillian Manesh said...

SO ready for sunshine!! I want to start walking to work again once it gets warmer in chicago. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Diana Mieczan said...

We just got a new one few weeks ago, Chic 'n Cheap Living:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..thank you, Anonymous! That is so sweet of you to say:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Great idea, Jillian:)

Pamela Bates said...

your new scrub sounds amazing!

Polly Rowan said...

I think that Spring should be the time we make new resolutions rather than New Year! (We need to eat chocolate in January!)
I have been exercising more and spending more time outside, and cycling to work. Also making more smoothies! Today I tried banana + spinach + almond milk + a teaspoon of peanut butter and it was amazing!

Diana Mieczan said...

You should try it, Pamela:) It's really lovely.

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally agree, Polly and that's a great point about chocolate - giggle. Btw: I am totally trying your smoothie tomorrow morning. Love the idea of adding peanut butter to the mix. Yum! Thanks:)

Art Farm said...

It's been so nice since our daylights saving time switch a few weeks ago. It makes such a difference to have it still light till almost 7pm. I'm a soup addict, so my switch has definitely been to more brothy, lighter soups. Less carb/potato heavy.

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie, I totally agree! I LOVE long sunny afternoons:)Btw: soups are truly the best!

Vanisha @ A Life Un-Styled said...

I have a cleanse water with me all day - lemon, cayenne pepper, ginger and honey. It's perfect towards the afternoons when my sugar/energy levels begin to drop a bit!

Another way we work at getting different vitamins and minerals into our diet is by always picking up 'new to us' veggies and fruits from the markets. Lately, it's been fruit - we tried kiwi berries (they look like gooseberries but are mini kiwi fruit) and the kiwiano which tastes like lemon and banana! I also always try to get different colours of fruit and veg, it helps me remember to get a variety of things :)

Diana Mieczan said...

I love that water mix, Vanisha. Can I have the recipe, please? How much of each do you use? Btw: ever since you told me about kiwi berries, I can't stop thinking about them. Need to find a place around here to buy them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk