Pre-Spring Booster: Creamy Veggie Soup

Monday, March 3, 2014

Do you like soups? Balazs and I live for thick, creamy and rich soups. You know those that make your specs steam up with the first spoonful and bring back those awesome childhood memories :)
So on Saturday after a few days of me (gently) hinting that it’s time for yet another soup-day, Balazs whipped up the one above. It was probably one of my all-time favourites! Best part? It was done totally from scratch as whenever Balazs cooks, he doesn’t use recipes, he just mixes things in the pot like a witch and comes out with something amazing. I’m always so jealous of his cooking instincts.

Anyway, he basically just used a bigger fresh soup-veggie-bag of white and orange carrots, a part of cabbage, an onion, 2 peeled cloves of garlic, half of celery root and the leaves + water. He also added pepper, salt, cumin, celery seeds, thyme, dry parsley, a dash of this chili paste, two of those tiny but of so spicy dried chili peppers and a stock cube. That is it! He simmered it all in one pot for up to 2 hours, and then blended it. All natural, healthy and full of goodness.

That morning, we bought some cheese bread sticks and enjoyed it while listening to Miles David's King Of Blue in the background. Ah, wish every Saturday could be just like that! How was your weekend? xo

P.S: Fancy more soups? How about this one, this one, oh and this?
P.P.S: You can buy the fresh-veggy-bag on the farmers' market or your gorcery store and you can get the chili paste and the chili peppers in your local Asian food store. That is where got ours.

(Photos by exPress-o)

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish my husband could cook but I might make the soup anyway as I need a veggie boost in my system. Looks delish Diana.

-Ola

Monica | Hola!design said...

"....he just mixes things in the pot like a witch.." love that!
this sounds so good,D!

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Monica :)

Jillian Manesh said...

mmmm the perfect comfort food for the never ending winter! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks, Ola:)

Diana Mieczan said...

True, Jillian:)

Tiffany Kadani said...

Your photos are simply amazing.

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

Sounds delicious! I am such a soup-fan. Had some red pepper soup for lunch :-)

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..thanks, Tiffany. That is so nice of you to say:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Yum, red pepper soup sounds delicious, Marieken.

Pamela Bates said...

drooling on the keyboard over here Diana. we both LOVE soup. then throw in the chili peper and the cumin. hello. save some for us. if there is any left ;)

Christianna said...

You eat yummy soup while listening to Miles Davis! Can you get any cooler? I mean can you?!

Art Farm said...

This sounds sounds amazing!! I love soups that you don't need a recipe for, you just toss in the pot whatever is on hand.

Elsa de Diego said...

Sounds heavenly! :) Thanks for sharing! XO

Ann Martin said...

Mmmm, Balazs' soup looks delicious! Just perfect for this time of year, but perhaps it's wonderful when chilled in summer too.

Vanisha @ A Life Un-Styled said...

That sounds heavenly and such great photos Diana. The grain of your table is lovely. We had a soup on Sunday - green chili chicken soup.I love the idea of a slow simmering soup on the stove in the weekends.

Annie said...

This sounds so delicious, Diana! I am a HUGE soup fan and soup is definitely my favorite thing to make. I also like to wing it and not use recipes so I appreciate the general guidelines here :) xo

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Pamela:) I wish I could invite you all for a soup day:)

Diana Mieczan said...

I'm *blushing* Christianna:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh yes, Katie:) And Ann Martin, that is a very good idea. I will try it chilled duing the summer as well. Thanks, lovely.

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..thanks, Vanisha:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Annie, my pleasure:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk