Nifty Fresh Hydrangeas Trick

Thursday, March 6, 2014



Last week our local flower shop got some stunning fresh purple hydrangeas. Do you like them? I’m totally hooked on them ever since last summer but the thing that always bugged me was that they are very short lived. They usually only last 2 or 3 days if you are lucky!

Anyway, I couldn’t resist the temptation so last Friday I got a bunch for our living room. While paying, I jokingly said to the owner that I will be back in 2-3 days for more and then she told me her little hygrangeas secret on how to keep them looking fresh for even up to 10 days!

Here is the tip: First soak your hydrangeas entirely in cold water for a few minutes in your kitchen sink, next cut their stems to your desirable length and place each stem into a cup of boiled (not steaming) water for 30 seconds. Then, remove the hydrangea stem from the boiled water and immediately place it in a vase with room temperature water. I’m on day 6 today and they still look beautiful!

Btw: Supposedly you can repeat the boiling water trick every few days so they might even stay fresh for longer.

P.S: And here is this nifty trick to all the other flowers.
P.P.S: Plus, did you know that you can actually make your hydrangea change color? Incredible!

(Photos by/via Marley and Lockyer, Katy Elliott, Shooting Film)

15 comments:

Chrissy said...

Oh, I just love them, especially the green ones! So beautiful! xxx

Pamela Bates said...

oh my, THANK YOU!! I have a hydrangea bush I transplanted from my parent's back yard. and my neighbor has three different hydrangeas. This will come in quite handy this summer when they bloom. They're so lovely. and I did know about boosting the color! gorgeous images. have lovely day diana

Jillian Manesh said...

what a great tip! i love these flowers! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Martie @ Spunkyrella said...

Truth to be told, I never liked hydrangeas but those photos! Wow, Diana! Especially those first ones, what a luscious purple shade! Also the blue ones remind me of a painting my late grandma kept in her bedroom.

Lovely!

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

If I had a garden, I would stuff it with hydrangeas :-)

Heidi said...

One of my favorite flowers! Thank you so much for sharing this trick!!! I will definitely give it a try next time I pick up some hydrangeas.

Vanisha @ A Life Un-Styled said...

I love the variety of colours hydrangeas some in. The mixing of water makes sense doesn't it? The hot water would kill off any bacteria. I'll see if I can find some hydrangeas at the market tomorrow.

Art Farm said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for these tips! I always thought I was doing something wrong with hydrangeas because they would wilt in a couple days. Definitely trying this tip soon!

Diana Mieczan said...

Chrissy:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Pamela, how lovely.

Diana Mieczan said...

That is so sweet, Martie:)

Diana Mieczan said...

I would totally do that too, Marieken :)

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Heidi:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally, Vanisha:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Muah, Katie!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk