Monday Spring Flower Challenge

Monday, March 17, 2014


On Friday night, a friend sent me this article about how fresh flowers have the power to instantly improve our mood. We all kind of knew that but there is an actual research behind the rumours proving that flowers are like an instant happiness booster.

According to a research from Wageningen University in the Netherlands, we should all have fresh flowers on our dining table or working desk as the scent will put us in a good mood and make us feel less anxious while the pretty colours will relax us or energize us depending on which type of blooms we choose.

For example flowers with less saturated and brighter colours are generally more relaxing, while bold saturated colours will energize you. A bunch with colours that fall near each other on the colour wheel will also be more calming. How interesting isn’t it?

Plus, the same awesome people in the Netherlands found that patients in hospital rooms brightened with flowers and potted plants needed less postoperative pain medication, had lower systolic blood pressure and pulse rates, were less anxious and tired, and generally were in a more positive psychological state than patients in rooms without plants.

Having read about it, last night a few of my friends and I made a pact to get some spring flowers and send each other pictures of what we chose. I am totally going for daffodils or white jonquils since they are in season!

So if you fancy joining in the flower fun, get some spring flowers today and tweet or email me the photo of what you got. I would love to see! Are you game? (I will include a link to mine later today). Happy flower shopping! xo

P.S: Peony harvest:)
P.P.S: Remember those?

(Photos by Sarah Mikaela and via Disorganized)

Update: Just scored those beautiful daffodils below. Don’t forget to tweet me your photo:)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES, I am in! I love this and what a great way to start the week. Look out for my email later today. Jill

Diana Mieczan said...

Yay, that is awesome, Jill:)

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

Great post, I never knew this. In two weeks I'll add some plants and flowers to my balcony :-)

Jillian Manesh said...

yes! i need more fresh flowers in my life! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Art Farm said...

I LOVE this study and article! How fascinating about the patients in the hospital doing better with flowers and plants. Just lovely! I totally agree that I always feel better when I have them in my home. I bought some daffodils over the weekend as well! I'll tweet you a photo when I get home from work shortly. Happy Monday, my dear! xo

Jana Miller @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering said...

That yellow coat..scumptious!

Jana Miller @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering said...

PS- I buy have been buying flowers every week at the farmers market ($5-7 a week), worth every penny!

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..wonderful, Marieken

Diana Mieczan said...

Your daffodils are STUNNING, Katie:) Muah

Diana Mieczan said...

Jana, yup I am loving that coat as well and I totally agree, farmers market flowers are worth every penny:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jana, yup I am loving that coat as well and I totally agree, farmers market flowers are worth every penny:)

Pamela Bates said...

great minds think alike.

Diana Mieczan said...

Pamela :)

send flowers to philippines said...

What's the name of that flowers in the first picture? I love that one. So girly =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk