How To Never Have Another Junk Food Craving

Monday, March 24, 2014

Do you ever get those uncontrollable late night cravings for junk food, ice cream, sweets, bread or coffee?

Oh boy, I hope I am not alone when I say that sometimes I can eat a whole bag of onion and cream chips in one sitting. Anyway, having said that, lately I've been trying to listen to my body more. So, I found a way to substitute those junk cravings with healthier options that actually help my body instead of giving it a quick and empty calorie fix.

Supposedly, the reason we crave certain unhealthy things is because we are likely missing something essential from our diet.

 For example when we crave...
- chocolate - we actually need magnesium that we can find in nuts, seeds and cucumber.
- coffee - we need macronutrients, phosphorus or iron that is easily found in seafood, milk, turkey, garlic or broccoli.
- sweet and sugar-y stuff - that means we need to eat more superfoods like blueberries.
carbohydrates like bread - we are probably low on proteins like eggs and fish oil.
- burger or meat -  means we probably have a deficiency in B12 or iron and we need to pack up on healthy fats found in avocado, coconut or olive oil.
-  and salt - we need salt but not table salt, more like natural sea salt found in leafy greens or berries since we are more likely to have manganese deficiency.

How interesting, isn't it? So next time instead of reaching for my usual bag of chips, I am going to have a handful of berries or a salad made of greens. Thoughts? What's your craving?

P.S: Vegan before 6pm?
P.P.S: Breakfating  and 200 calories.

(via Sarah - TotalBeauty)

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never knew that and now I know why I've been eating chocolate like crazy lately. Even my husband was worried that I transformed into some sort of choco-holic. Jill

Jillian Manesh said...

i guess i need to stock up on blueberries!! :) pinning this!! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Steph said...

Looks like I need to start gnawing on walnuts!

Art Farm said...

I've seen this on Pinterest lately and after reading your post this morning I had the biggest chocolate craving and thought I'd give it a try. I had a few walnuts and you know what, eventually that chocolate craving went away and now I feel pretty good. Although I have to admit while eating the walnuts, I did not get the same pleasure as when I eat chocolate. And now that I'm talking about chocolate, I kind of want a piece. Oh well! :) xo

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

I always have a jar of walnuts in my kitchen, but sometimes I really, really need some chocolate!

Carried Away said...

I am going to save this and make it a priority to eat the healthy food whenever I crave stuff...and I have a lot of cravings :)

Vanisha @ A Life Un-Styled said...

This makes perfect sense. I often crave chips and I don't really eat a lot of salt otherwise. And come to think of it, it's really the only thing I find myself craving!

Pamela Bates said...

very interesting

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, how funny, Jill:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jillian:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie, you made me smile so much with your comment. Love!

Diana Mieczan said...

Yup, sometimes chocolate is the only option, Marieken:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Carried Away:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Same here, Vanisha:)

Claudz said...

Fascinating!!
I crave cheese ALL the time...wonder what I need

Tiffany Kadani said...

I eat walnuts, berries, leafy greens, and eggs every day. I cannot imagine my food cravings if I didn't haha!

Pixelhazard said...

This makes some sense of my post baby cravings, Thank goodness

X. Pixelhazard | Bright Green Laces |

Diana Mieczan said...

Claudz, I read that if you crave cheese you need more calcium. So you should try eating more turnip greens, broccoli or kale. Hope that helps:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Tiffany:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Pixelhazard :)

Rachel (Wit and Wanderings) said...

It's interesting for sure. I wonder what led them to figure this out. I've heard that if you are craving chocolate that you eat a small piece of cheese and it should go away.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk