How To Have A Great Life Full Of Simple Pleasures

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

One of my on-going goals is to simplify my life as much as I can and live by the less is more rule. Long-time readers know that I'm all about simple pleasures and little things in life. Since for most of us this new season means spring cleaning or rejuvenation, I thought I'd share some of Drea's tips and add a few of my own.

So here it is:

- Choose quality over quantity when it comes to furniture, food, clothes. Furniture and clothes that are better quality will last you much longer while great quality food will nourish you in ways that fast food can’t.

- Don’t buy disposable products as reusable cloths, tea towels or ceramic cups last longer, they're prettier, they save you money and they're part of those little moments you share with your family.

- My new revelation lately: make stuff instead of buying everything. It applies to home remedies, cosmetics, meals. Making food from scratch and fresh ingredients always ends up being cheaper, healthier and more satisfying while processed food is always more expensive as you not only pay for the product itself, but also for the packaging and the advertisement. Also, by making things from scratch, you learn not to rush, you make better choices and end up buying less while doing more things together as a family - like cooking, setting the table, playing board games, gardening, drinking the lemonade you made yourself. It’s all about enjoying the process and being present in the moment.

- Love your home by caring for it, making it comfortable, memorable. Plus, spring clean it regularly from things you don’t use like clothes, furniture or bits and bobs. Keeping the environment clutter free will make you feel more at ease as a person.

- Don’t rush through your days, months, years. Enjoy the now and live more in the moment. Don’t save that expensive bottle of wine for an occasion 2 months from now, enjoy it now by creating an evening that will become your new memorable occasion.

- Breath. It sounds simple but we don't do it enough...

- Things like walks, bike rides, park picnics with cheese and baguettes or a simple evening with wine on the balcony might be not the most extravagant thing in your life, but those little moments are the ones you will probably remember most when you are older. The way it made you feel, the smell of the fresh spring breeze or the way your husband smiled at you. That is priceless and simple.

“Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth.” ― Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Are you planning to do spring cleaning? Thoughts? Would you add anything to the list? xo

P.S: 'Me time' fix.
P.P.S: And speaking of spring...

(Photos via/by Haleigh Walsworth, Design Darling, Kaupo, Sea Chant and Beth)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post really speaks to me since I feel like it's time to change and try to make my life more "happy" instead of "proper". I really like all the tips and I will definitely adapt them. Thanks.

Art Farm said...

This is such a beautiful post, Diana! I too have been trying to live more simply. I love your new revelation of make stuff. I had a similar revelation at the beginning of this year. It has to do with consuming vs. creating. We take what others make when we consume. So by making something we are giving back. I like that cycle in my head.

I've also been trying to get rid of more stuff that I'm not using. I'm really looking forward to spring and spring cleaning and clearing out my apartment of unused clutter.

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, that is wonderful:) Good luck!

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww...thanks, Katie! So happy you liked it:) I love your thought process on consuming vs. creating. It's brilliant and I am looking forward to spring cleaning the flat as well. It always feels like new afterwards.

Carried Away said...

Diana, I love every bit of advice that you put in here. I believe a lot in making the best of every day and finding meaning and pleasure in the simple things. Our lives could improve so much if we would make the most of the little pleasures. Thank you for this post!

LyddieGal said...

Savor and enjoy. That is what life should be. I need to stop letting these beautiful free days pass me by.
Chic on the Cheap

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..I am so pleased that you liked it, Carried Away and I totally agree with what you said:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh yes - savor and enjoy, Lyddie:) Love that!

Vintage Market Place said...

all I can say is LOVE
Thanks for setting the tone.
Amazing
AMy

Steph said...

Aw, I really love this post. It's full of beautiful bits of advice that are easy to forget but that really do make a difference.

tutusandtea said...

Just love this one Diana, your blog is so perfectly inspiring! Thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk