Stealing The Morning

Wednesday, February 19, 2014


Do you ever stay at a friend's place when traveling or visiting? Somehow I made a habit of always booking a hotel, no matter how wonderfully welcoming our friends are. I seemed to think that staying in someone's place would be totally inconvenient for both, me and them. I was so wrong and Anne just got me straight with her little morning in Brooklyn post.

A few months ago, Anne travelled to Brooklyn from South Caroline for work and had a chance to stay with a friend. The next morning, after settling in, the friend went off to work and left Anne to enjoy the snowy city all by herself from the comfort of a cozy Brooklyn flat. This is what she said about that rare and luxuries morning when she could just wake up and not have to worry about anyone or anything but herself:

'Still in my pyjamas, I sipped her delicious coffee, my bare feet warm on the smooth hardwood floor by her radiator. I made a favourite breakfast, egg in a hole, with her delicious multi-grain bread and a farm fresh egg from her Sunday farmers' market. Her pretty blue and white plate made my breakfast look even better. I perused her book case and was happy to see a novel I've been meaning to read. I have wonderful food at home, too, including excellent, locally roasted coffee, satisfying multi-grain bread and fresh eggs. But everything tastes better when you feel like you stole the morning.'

Ever since I read this, I can’t wait to steal the morning in a friend’s house with no worries about taking the dogs for a morning walk, picking up mail, rushing to a meeting or prepping breakfast for Balazs and I or even doing the groceries.

Ah, the simple things in life! Fancy the idea of stealing a morning some time soon? Where would you go? xo

P.S: Solo dinner dates and a grown-up gap year :)
P.P.S: Vegan before 6pm?

(Photos by Cook Republic, Molly and Anne Postic)

10 comments:

Steph said...

Sounds perfect. I love a peaceful morning. It doesn't get much better than that!

Diana Mieczan said...

Hmm so very true, Steph:)

Tiffany Kadani said...

I'm so grateful I don't have to leave the house until the afternoon. Mornings have become my favorite, too. It's the time I get to write undisturbed.

Carried Away said...

I love mornings at home and i think that being at a friends home from time to time might be interesting. Stealing the morning sound so good.

Ana Degenaar said...

Those eggs! I love love love them. I'm a morning person and my fave meal of the day is breakfast. This just made me so happy.

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

That's why I love AirBnB – you get to spend your vacation in someone's home, not a cold, impersonal hotel room. You get to enjoy your coffee on someone's sofa, surrounded by their plants and their art, get recommendations for a favorite bakery around the corner, and have a late-night conversation over a cup of tea in the kitchen. I love vacationing this way so much more, it's like a mini expat experience :-)

Diana Mieczan said...

I love your comment, Tiffany:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally does, doesn't it, Carried Away? Ah!

Diana Mieczan said...

Ana, same here...I love eggs:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Elisa, you inspired me to try out AirBnB next time we are planning a trip. Thank you:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk