Nifty (and Surprising) Headache Trick

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Do you suffer from tension headaches? If you do, next time you feel like a bad headache is coming on, instead of reaching for a painkiller, try this:

Put a pencil between your teeth for a couple of minutes but don't bite it. This little trick will automatically relax your jaw muscle, which quickly will prevent the pain from escalating and it will actually get rid of the pain all together.

Supposedly, people who are prone to stress or anxiousness, subconsciously clench their jaw and teeth which results in straining of the muscle that connects the jaw to the temples which triggers a tension headache. Ha, who knew? Brilliant, isn’t it? My mom’s husband swears by it! I’m yet to give this a go. What do you think? Would you try it? xo

P.S: Your anti-stress hero!
P.P.S: Do you get stressed? And working through chaos:)

(Photo of Carole Lombard via AP)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You post the coolest tricks. Will share with my husband.
-G.P.

Liz Halle said...

If it works, this is genius. Will try with my hopefully not near in the future headache.

xo

Jana Miller @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering said...

Brilliant! I need this trick :)

Mary Jo said...

I love this tip and am trying it right as I type. My dermatologist told me that I am grinding my teeth, apparently people do this as they get older--great right? And that can't help the headaches so I'm willing to try anything that helps.
xo Mary Jo

Vintage Market Place said...

so cool!
the plus is I always write with a pencil so I always have one on hand :)
Amy

Jillian Manesh said...

nice tip! i need to try this out!

Vegan Tasmania said...

Aha! As soon as I saw this post title I thought that's what you'd say! I know for a while there I was convinced I had some disorder in which you constantly get headaches and ear pain from your jaw. I don't but it did teach me to relax my jaw when i get a bad headache :)

Vanisha @ Vanishas Life In...Australia said...

I'll try, it makes a lot of sense doesn't it? Though this tip would have been particularly useful over the last four years when I was doing my PhD! Thanks for sharing Diana, I might include it in one of my PhD Thursday posts xoxoxo

Art Farm said...

Great tip! I'll have to try this the next time this happens. Thank you dear!

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks, GP:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Liz, Balazs' tried it yesterday and it worked! :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jana:)

Diana Mieczan said...

I didn't know that, Mary Jo...Hope it helps, sweetie.

Diana Mieczan said...

Amy - love!

Diana Mieczan said...

Vegan Tasmania, very interesting.

Diana Mieczan said...

It totally does, Vanisha and my pleasure:)

Diana Mieczan said...

xoxo Katie.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk