Pay It Forward - My Little Challenge!

Tuesday, January 28, 2014


While catching up on reading I stumbled upon this little story from last summer. Have a read:

I am a senior citizen, age 92. While trying to hail a taxi on Second Avenue on a busy, rainy Saturday night, a well-dressed young couple came along behind me, also trying to hail a taxi. They seemed impatient, so they walked one block uptown to get the first cab. A few minutes later I saw them get into the first oncoming cab - my loss.
As their cab approached me, it slowed down and came to a full stop. The door opened and, as they both got out, the young man said, 'It’s your cab.' I thanked them profusely, got in, and went on my way.

Lately I've heard a lot about a new phenomenon called "paying it forward" - it means to repay a kindness by being kind to someone else rather than the person who was kind to you.

For example, I read another article about how people in Texas and many other spots around the country like to make someone’s day by picking up their drive-through bill in a pay it forward type of fashion. Supposedly, there is a lady in Oklahoma who pays it forward in the drive-through, every single day. Can you believe it?

She just does it out of kindness rather than for recognition. But others have told drive-through cashiers they wanted to pay it forward in gratitude to drivers who waved their car ahead of them in line or after noticing in the rearview mirror a woman weeping into her steering wheel, and wanting to make her smile. Cancer survivors have done it in appreciation of life, and new parents have done it to celebrate their baby.

So, in spirit of loveliness and paying it forward, from today till the end of February I made a pact with myself to do one good deed every single time when I feel like someone did something nice to me.

It doesn’t have to be anything big. It can be just sharing a cab, or giving it up like the NY couple above and catching the next one or even just giving someone a compliment, just because they seem sad. You can also pay for someones's coffee or give away your seat on the subway. What do you think? Are you up for it? xo

P.S: One thing this year...
P.P.S: Life lessons.

(via NY Times. Photos via Touchdisky)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Count me in. It's a sweet way to give back and pass on some happiness. My heart is full after reading your post. Jill

Ana Degenaar said...

Reading this was today's treat for me. Thank you for sharing!

Tish said...

Can't wait to hear of your good deed adventures!

Monica | Hola!design said...

I'm on it, too! Great post, D!

Jillian Manesh said...

love this idea!

Martie said...

Diana, you´re right it is a new trend. Which is great but also kind of sad that people don´t make an effort to be kinder to one another, don´t you think?!

I actually do that in little things. I treated my super busy coworkers to Starbucks the other day because I wanted to and also because they supported me when I was all alone in my dept and swamped in work two weeks ago. I paid for coffee for a young girl who had a bad day and I didn´t say it. I just told the barista to tell her as soon as I am gone and made sure, she can have a snack too.

I would be too embarrassed if they feel like they have to thank me or something because they don´t. I just hope they think of it when they come across someone in need.

Oh, and today a client just came by with a box rather large hand cream samples because he remembered how much I love trying out hand cremes :)

It´s the little things!

Liz Halle said...

It really is these moments that make life special. I am a firm believer of this and hope to continue sharing these with others in the future.

xox Elizabeth

Steph said...

This is a lovely post and that story about the couple in NYC is heart-warming. I will do my best to follow your lead. It is definitely the little things that make a difference. x

Steph said...

This is a lovely post and that story about the couple in NYC is heart-warming. I will do my best to follow your lead. It is definitely the little things that make a difference. x

Bionica said...

this is such a beautiful post
I totally agree, in giving kindness
one act encourages another
and that makes a better day
and world for everyone <3

-Bionica

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww...I love that, Jill!

Diana Mieczan said...

Ana, that is so very sweet of you to say. Thank you, love.

Diana Mieczan said...

Tish, muah!

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally agree, Martie but hopefully this will change and people will start being nicer to each other:) I love all the little things you did and how sweet of your client. I love things like that and you're wonderful! Btw: thank you for the sweetest note on Twitter...It made my day!

Diana Mieczan said...

Elizabeth:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Steph, I love that little story...it's so sweet, isn't it?

Diana Mieczan said...

What a beautiful comment, Bionica. Thank you:)

Anonymous said...

I really like the idea too! If you haven't seen it I can recommend the movie by the same name ("Pay it Forward") starring Haley Joel Osment and Kevin Spacey from 2000
So glad it's still going on out there!

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, thank you for the recommendation. I will check it out:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk